Lewis Pettitt defeats Jamie Speight
Bexley super bantamweight Lewis Pettitt was crowned Southern Area champion after a close fought battle with Jamie Speight from Devon.
The contest for the vacant belt held at Medway Park, Gillingham on 20th September was clearly the fight of the night, entertaining the crowd consistently from the opening bell to the final round.
The pair fought valiantly without breaks and the scoring was as close as 95-97 in favour of the South Londoner.
This was Pettitt’s second crack at a Southern Area title and will no doubt be a dream come true and a pathway to bigger fights in the near future as he looks to target the English title next.
The action was energetic from the start with Pettitt edging the opening couple of rounds. Speight, who was always in it then began to come out on top over the following three rounds. At the midway point the 25 year old from Devon was likely leading on the scorecards. Pettitt then dug deep and took the cleaner shots and displayed the classier work from the sixth round to the closing bell. Both fighters gave it their all and fought courageously and the final points score was a true representation of the lively encounter.
In other action, there was convincing wins from Lloyd Ellett, Johnny Garton, Adam Dingsdale and debutant Brett Beadon.
Challenger Daniel Woodgate and Southern Area light heavyweight champion Leon Senior treated fight fans to a thrilling contest resulting with the champion retaining his title.
To follow the boxing star on Twitter click here https://twitter.com/LewisPettitt
More Boxing News:
- WBSS Cruiserweight Final to be shown live on BILDplus in Germany
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Results / Photos: Lubin beats Gausha to earn rematch with Jermell Charlo
- Charles Conwell vs. Wendy Toussaint on October 7 on Showtime
- Zhang Zhilei signs with Matchroom Boxing
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall