Danie Venter beats Shawn Cox
South African veteran Danie Venter is the new World Boxing Federation World Cruiserweight Champion after defeating Shawn “The Sniper” Cox from Barbados for the vacant title on Saturday night, September 21, at the Heartfelt Arena in Pretoria.
Venter put on a fantastic performance as he destroyed the usually dangerous Cox in the first round. Already inside the first few seconds Venter knocked Cox down, and he didn’t waste any time following up to finish the fight with some ferocious punching later in the stanza.
After the crowning moment of his ten years as a professional, Venter, who represented his country in the 2000 Sydney Olympics, improved his ledger to 18-6 (13). Shawn Cox, losing his second shot at world honours after winning a few regional titles, dropped to 17-3 (16).
In the co-feature of a massive card, Daniel Bruwer won the vacant WBF International Cruiserweight title with an impressive victory over Switzerland-based Algerian Sofiane Sebihi.
The two traded shots in the early rounds and each had their share of success, but as the fight progressed it was Bruwer who proved the stronger man. After a few knockdowns that helped ware down the durable Sebihi, Bruwer eventually finished the job in style by knocking his man out in round eight.
Bruwer, who is also the reigning South African national champion, improved his professional record to 24-5-1 (21), while Sebihi falls to 20-5 (14).
In the evening’s third WBF title fight, up-and-comer Kevin Lerena captured his paid careers first championship when he captured the vacant All Africa Cruiserweight crown in an explosive performance against Ghanaian and West African Champion Ibrahim Labaran.
Lerena was a level above the visitor, and dominated Labaran from the start, knocking him down in the first round and finally stopping him in the second.
With much promise for the future, 21-year-old Lerena takes his record to 8-0 (6), and sends Labaran back to Accra with his third career defeat (10-3, 9 KOs) after ten straight victories.
The impressive WBF Championship tripleheader, dubbed “No Guts, No Glory”, was promoted by Real Steel Promotions, headed by former world-class Super Middleweight Andre Thysse.
More Boxing News:
- WBSS Cruiserweight Final to be shown live on BILDplus in Germany
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Results / Photos: Lubin beats Gausha to earn rematch with Jermell Charlo
- Charles Conwell vs. Wendy Toussaint on October 7 on Showtime
- Zhang Zhilei signs with Matchroom Boxing
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall