Schaefer working on Broner-Maidana fight for November
By Allan Fox: Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer says he’s working on putting together a big fight between WBA welterweight champion Adrien Broner and Marcos Maidana. Schaefer won’t say for what date in November, but it seems pretty clear that it’s the November 9th pay per view fight he’s been talking about. Schaefer doesn’t want to say anything until the fights a done deal, and it’s easy to understand that.
Maidana’s manager Sebastian Contursi said to Dan Rafael at ESPN “We are working an agreement with Al [Haymon] in order for him to advise Marcos Maidana, which we think should be a great move towards getting the best fights for Marcos, especially Broner.”
Broner and Golden Boy must feel pretty confident about his chances in this fight, because it’s unlikely that Broner or Golden Boy would agree to a fight against a guy that was going to be too tough like Keith Thurman. Fight a busy slugger like Maidana could turn out to be a huge mistake for Broner if he doesn’t put in a better performance than he did in his last fight against Paulie Malignaggi.
That was not impressive stuff. Some Broner fans think he fought the best fight he could and shined against Malignaggi, but I think most boxing fans are in agreement that Broner was lucky to escape with a win. That fight showed clearly that Broner doesn’t have a high work rate, he doesn’t move well, and his power hasn’t carried up from the lightweight division.
If Broner doesn’t have enough power to slow Maidana down, he’s going to taken apart by him. Broner won’t be able to beat Maidana by bending backwards with his shoulder roll defense looking to pick off single punches, because he’s going to be getting hit with combinations. Shoulder roll works for single shots, but not when someone is laying into you with power shot after shot the way that Maidana will be doing.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta
- Jorge Linares tests positive for coronavirus
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 must face mandatory Whyte says WBC president
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Felix Verdejo possible on Oct.3 if Teofimo fight falls through