David Price confident he’ll avenge his loss to Tony Thompson
LENNOX LEWIS insists that David Price can still become world heavyweight champion despite his loss against Tony Thompson.
Price teamed up with the former undisputed world heavyweight champion after being beaten inside two rounds by the Washington DC southpaw in February.
Lewis has flown into Britain to oversee the final two weeks of Price’s (15-1) who boxes Thompson (37-3) in a return at Liverpool Echo Arena on Saturday 6th July.
Lewis who retired as world champion ten years ago after beating Vitali Klitschko said: “David is not that far away from a world title fight but you have to develop.
“He has made a wise move looking for more stuff to learn and the opportunity is with me.
“As a past heavyweight champion I know a lot of things he needs to do and working with me he has upped his game a lot more.”
Price, 29, compared his shock loss against Thompson to Lewis’s first ever career defeat against Oliver McCall in September 1994 that he avenged two-and-a-half years later.
The 2008 Olympic bronze medallist said: “There are parallels there between us, but at this stage, the difference is Lennox Lewis went and got back on the horse.
“I’ve yet to do that, but I’m confident that come Saturday week, I will climb back on that horse and put myself right back in the heavyweight title mix.
“It’s been a breath of fresh air working with him.”
Bristol’s Darren Hamilton (13-2) risks his British light-welterweight crown against Adil Anwar (19-1) on the same bill.
And, local boxer Kevin Satchell (10-0) defends his British flyweight championship against Motherwell’s Iain Butcher (8-0).
Other contests: Jazza Dickens (15-0) v Reynaldo Cajina (12-16-3), Travis Dickinson (14-1) v S/O, Neil Perkins (3-0) v Steve Spence (4-28-4), Lee Boyce (debut) v James Todd (2-2-1), Marcin Marczak (6-0) v Kevin McCauley (11-55-3), Andy Colquhoun (7-0) v Dougie Curran (9-18-3), Joe Tonks (5-2) v Johnny Greaves (3-95), Sean Dodd (6-0) v S/O, Louis Cuddy (8-0) v S/O.
Tickets for ‘Redemption’ are available priced £180 (VIP including private bar), £100, £80, £50, £35 can be obtained fromhttp://www.echoarena.com/ www.frankmaloney.com and telephone bookings can be made by calling 0844 8000400.
Redemption: David Price v Tony Thompson will be broadcast live and exclusive on BoxNation on Saturday 6th July 2013
More Boxing News:
- Victor Pasillas vs. Ranfis Encarnación Battle this Wednesday, Sept.23
- Niall Kennedy battles Alen Babic on Oct.4 on DAZN & Sky
- Ricards Bolotniks vs Hosea Burton on September 26, live on IFL TV
- Santiago Vs. Garcia Weights From Tijuana, Mexico
- Mairis Briedis vs Yuniel Dorticos WBSS Cruiser Final on Sept. 26
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Kell Brook: I can hurt Terence Crawford 100%
- Lomachenko: I’m going to cause Teofimo pain
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21