Weights: Darchinyan 123.5, Gallo 123.25
By Allan Fox: 37-year-old former two division world champion Vic Darchinyan (38-5-1, 27 KO’s) successfully weighed in on Friday for his fight tomorrow night against Javier Gallo (18-6-1, 10 KO’s) for their fight at the Uni-Trade Stadium in Laredo, Texas.
Darchinyan, #3 WBC, came in at 123.5 pounds, and his opponent 29-year-old Gallo weighed in at 123.25 lbs. This will be the first fight for Darchinyan with Top Rank Promotions and there’s talk of him possibly facing newly crowned WBC super bantamweight champion Victor Terrazaz next, although former IBF/WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire might be the one that ultimately gets the shot against Terrazaz.
Darchinyan wants the fight, though, and he definitely has the ranking to make a case for him getting the fight instead of Donaire.
Saturday’s fight should be an easy one for Darchinyan. Gallo has lost four out of his last six fights and he’s not anywhere near Darchinyan’s class. It’s not a question of whether Darchinyan will win but rather in which round the fight will end.
Gallo was knocked out in the 5th round in his last fight against the hard hitting Drian Francisco last year in November. Gallo was also stopped by Khabir Suleymanor in the 9th round three years ago.
Darchinyan’s career hasn’t exactly been going well either lately, as he’s lost two out of his last three fights, albeit against quality opposition in Anselmo Moreno and Shinsuke Yamanaka.
Darchinyan hasn’t looked good since he left the super flyweight division in 2009. He probably could have stayed down there and continued to remain a champion all this time, but instead he moved up in weight to bantamweight and now super bantamweight, and he’s just not the same fighter in this weight classes that he was at super flyweight and flyweight.
There is more money and opportunities for bigger paydays at 122 than there was at flyweight and super flyweight, which is part of the reason why Darchinyan moved up in weight to fight where he’s no longer dominant.
More Boxing News:
- Hearn wants fighters to agree to 50-50 match-ups
- Alex Saucedo vs. Sonny Fredrickson on June 30
- The Symbol of Soul City Boxing Gym…Otha Jones III
- WBC to reduce sanctioning fees for fighters
- Josh Warrington wants Shakur Stevenson ‘SOONER rather than later’
- Fury expects to fight Joshua x 2 next year, but not overlooking Wilder
- Arum responds to Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury RUMORS
- Tyson vs. Holyfield 3 Preview
- Ryan Garcia: Jorge Linares fight ISN’T happening
- Saunders: Canelo is in my WORLD inside an empty arena