Hearn: Bellew will fight Dawson-Stevenson winner in October or November
By Scott Gilfoid: Promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport says his fighter #1 WBC, Tony Bellew (20-1-1, 12 KO’s) will be facing the winner of the June 8th fight between Chad Dawson vs. Adonis Stevenson fight later this year once the smoke clears from that fight.
Bellew defeated Isaac Chilemba by a 12 round unanimous decision last Saturday night to put himself in position to fight the Dawson-Stevenson winner.
Bellew beat Chilemba by a 12 round unanimous decision by the scores 116-112, 117-112 and 116-112. It was far from a pretty fight, however, because of all the clinching and holding that Bellew did. He was fighting in an exhausted state from the 5th round on, and he looked absolutely horrible.
I was wondering whether Bellew had problems making weight because he had the signs of a fighter that had struggled to make weight and was too drained to fight. If that’s the case then Bellew is going to need to move up to cruiserweight in the near future so that he doesn’t hurt himself trying to make a weight that he’s not comfortable with.
Hearn said to I Film London “He’s fighting the winner [Dawson vs. Stevenson]. It’s probably in October, November or December.”
I know Hearn was incredibly happy with Bellew’s win over Chilemba but he needs to look at the win as really Bellew’s championship bout because he’s not going to be able to beat Dawson or Stevenson. What Bellew accomplished last Saturday night in beating Chilemba by a narrow margin is as good as it gets.
That’s as high as Bellew will go. I mean, he’ll obviously get the title shot against the Dawson vs. Stevenson winner, but either one of those guys are going to embarrass Bellew.
That’s just the reality of the situation. He doesn’t have the talent to beat them and if he tries to hang all over them for 12 rounds like he did with Chilemba, they’ll knock him out. He’s going to take a beating either way, but it’ll be worse if he tries to hold for 12 rounds.
More Boxing News:
- Fury is #1 heavyweight but Joshua BEATS him – Tony Bellew
- Tony Bellew: ‘I’d Make a FOOL of Andy Ruiz Jr’
- Boxing results from the weekend: Paddy Donovan, Sergey Rabchenko, Chad Dawson
- Bellew: Lomachenko will have problems at 140
- Tony Bellew: ‘Lomachenko makes Gervonta Davis look stupid”
- Fury expects to fight Joshua x 2 next year, but not overlooking Wilder
- Arum responds to Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury RUMORS
- Tyson vs. Holyfield 3 Preview
- Ryan Garcia: Jorge Linares fight ISN’T happening
- Saunders: Canelo is in my WORLD inside an empty arena