Sergio Martinez news
New York, NY / Buenos Aires, Argentina (4/8/13) – Last week, tragedy struck the country of Argentina when torrential rains caused heavy flooding in La Plata, the low-lying capital and province of Buenos Aires.
Middleweight kingpin Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez was devastated upon hearing the news of the flooding that, as of last week, had claimed the lives of at least 50 people and left thousands without power. Martinez will be defending his WBC middleweight crown on April 27in his much-anticipated ‘Homecoming’ against England’s undefeated interim WBA middleweight champion Martin Murray (25-0-1, 11KO’s) at the country’s famed 50,000-seat Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield, in Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina. HBO will provide live coverage of the bout beginning at 8:30 p.m. ET/PT.
“I want to send my deepest condolences and all of my sympathy to the people of Buenos Aires. What has happened there is terrible,” said Martinez.
In an attempt to lend a helping hand, Martinez, along with the organizers of the April 27 event, will be donating $100,000 to Caritas La Plata.
“Along with the organizers of my fight, we have decided to donate $100,000 to Caritas La Plata to help assist the families that were affected by this tragedy. Do not stand in front of your TV watching and regretting what has happened. Stand up and donate what you can.”
Below is the website with information to make a donation.
The Martinez-Murray world championship telecast, which begins at 8:30 p.m ET/PT, will be produced and distributed live by HBO. Follow HBO Boxing news at www.hbo.com and at www.facebook.com/hboboxing. Use the hashtag #MartinezMurray to join the conversation on Twitter. For constant updates on the fight, including videos, pictures and articles, visit www.dbe1.com, www.hbo.com or www.maravillavsmurray.com.
A limited number of tickets are still available for purchase through www.tuentrada.com
More Boxing News:
- Jack Culcay takes on Abass Baraou in Berlin, Germany on Aug. 28
- British Boxing: Fight Night Boxing Schedules Announced
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza Dominates LesPierre
- Statements from A. Serrano and manager regarding a demand from Eddie Hearn
- Zepeda vs. Castaneda & Takam vs. Forrest on week 5 of ESPN summer series
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight
- Emanuel Navarrete wants Naoya Inoue, believes he’ll beat him