Gunnar Jackson vs. Adrian Taihia on April 5th in Auckland, New Zealand
Local rivals Gunnar Jackson (15-3-3, 5 KOs) and Adrian Taihia (8-1-2, 4 KOs) are set to clash for the vacant World Boxing Federation Oceania Super Middleweight title on April 5 at the ABA Stadium in Auckland, New Zealand.
The match-up is a highly anticipated rematch of their October 2012 encounter, which ended in a ten-round draw at the same venue, and is appropriately dubbed “Unfinished Business” by promoter Craig Thompson, who is reporting that the event is close to a sell-out.
Raised in Wellington, 26-year-old Gunnar “The Stunna” Jackson turned professional in 2010 with a loss, but has since rebounded well. Last year he captured the New Zealand national title as well as the PABA crown, and he feels he knows what it takes to set things straight with Taihia:
Since we have fought before, I have a good idea of how he is going to fight in the rematch. He will come forward, try to put the pressure on, and we will have a game plan ready”, said Jackson when interviewed recently. “We have watched the video of the first fight, and I know what to do!”
Adrian Taihia (30) had his first paid fight in 2008, and went undefeated until clashing with world-ranked, and much more experienced, Australia-based Kenyan Kariz Kariuki the following year. Since then it has been all wins, except for the draw with Jackson.
Auckland resident Tahia has never lost at the ABA Stadium, where all his professional bouts, except for the Kariuki-loss in Australia, has taken place, and he will be entering the rematch with Jackson feeling very much at home and determined to prove he is the better of the two.
The Gunnar Jackson vs. Adrian Taihia WBF Oceania Super Middleweight title fight will be promoted by Craig Thompson / CTP Boxing in association with TKO Entertainment, and marks the entrance of the WBF into New Zealand, which is a sign of the solid work done there by Oceania Coordinator Ricky Bushell.
More Boxing News:
- Shakur Stevenson and Jessie Magdaleno to Headline June Cards
- Ricky Burns still has ‘a year or two left’ of remarkable story
- CES Boxing & Boston Boxing Offer Mike Tyson $1,000,000
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Dillian Whyte and Francis Ngannou meet in press conference on Saturday
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Eddie Hearn doubts injured Deontay Wilder will be ready to face Fury this year
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S