Golovkin turns 31 today
VENICE, CA (April 8, 2013) For the second time in three months middleweight world champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin has been named the World Boxing Association’s Fighter of the Month, following his impressive third round knockout of former world titleholder Nobuhiro Ishida on Saturday, MARCH 30 in Monaco.
The stoppage was the seventh defense of the WBA Middleweight Title by Golovkin and was broadcast live in over sixty countries from the Salle des Etoiles. Many VIP guests were in attendance at this exclusive event, including Marvin Hagler, Princess Charlene and Prince Albert of Monaco.
Earlier this year, following his seventh round stoppage of Gabriel Rosado on JANUARY 19 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Golovkin was also named WBA Fighter of the Month for January.
“I’m honored to win this award again this year; it’s a nice birthday present for me. I’m very proud to defend the WBA title and look forward to many more title defenses in the future” said Golovkin.
Golovkin is a native of Kazakhstan, lives with his family in Stuttgart, Germany, and trains in Big Bear, California. He first won the WBA Middleweight Title on AUGUST 14, 2010 with a first round knockout of Milton Nunez in Panama City, Panama.
With a record of 26-0-0 with 23 knockouts, Golovkin’s 88% knockout ratio is highest amongst all active world champions.
Said Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, “Gennady’s plan this year was to stay very active, he’s off to a great start with these first two defenses ending early, keeping his KO streak alive. Being recognized in January and March as fighter of the month is great, but our goal is for him to be the fighter of the year.”
Details of Golovkin’s highly anticipated return to the ring will be announced shortly. He will be in New York City this week, attending the BWAA awards on Thursday as well as the HBO televised Donaire vs. Rigondeaux fight on Saturday April 13.
More Boxing News:
- Jack Culcay takes on Abass Baraou in Berlin, Germany on Aug. 28
- British Boxing: Fight Night Boxing Schedules Announced
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza Dominates LesPierre
- Statements from A. Serrano and manager regarding a demand from Eddie Hearn
- Zepeda vs. Castaneda & Takam vs. Forrest on week 5 of ESPN summer series
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”