Thurman: I’m going to outclass Zaveck
By Allan Fox: Undefeated welterweight contender Keith Thurman (19-0, 18 KO’s) sees himself totally dominated former IBF welterweight champion Jan Zaveck (32-2, 18 KO’s) on Saturday night in their WBO welterweight title eliminator bout on the undercard of the Bernard Hopkin vs. Tavoris Cloud bout on HBO at the Barclays Center, in Brooklyn, New York, USA.
Thurman said “I know I am prepared. I am going to outclass him. I am confident I can steal rounds by getting inside and throwing punches.”
It’s interesting that Thurman is talking of stealing rounds, as if that’s what he would have to do in order to win the fight. Thurman isn’t the type that just tries to get inside and steal rounds.
What he does he goes after his opponents from round one looking to bludgeon them in to submission. He’s not someone that goes out of his way to try and win a decision. Thurman is being kind to Zaveck by not talking trash the way he might have done had he been facing a younger fighter than the 36-year-old Zaveck.
Zaveck, #1 WBO, fought only once in 2012 in beating Bethuel Ushona by a 12 round unanimous decision last March. It wasn’t an impressive performance from Zaveck, who fought very conservatively, throwing few punches, and mostly just letting Ushona outwork him in every round of the fight.
It looked like Zaveck lost the fight, but the judges gave him the decision despite him landing only a tiny handful of shots in each round compared to the ones Ushona was landing.
If Thurman is able to land at the same clip that Ushona did against Zaveck then this fight likely won’t lst too long because Thurman has really heavy hands and he’ll end up cutting Zaveck up and stopping him.
Thurman, #4 WBA, will be taking a slight step up in competition in this fight. He stopped Carlos Quintana in the 4th round last November, but Quintana looked like he didn’t want to really fight because he was running for his life from start until the finish in the 4th round.
More Boxing News:
- Vergil Ortiz Jr wants Keith Thurman or Danny Garcia
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Keith Thurman: I DESERVE a rematch with Manny Pacquiao
- Keith Thurman: Spence is going to have to see me at 147 or leave the division
- Robert Guerrero wants Pacquiao and Thurman fights
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz