Solis-Larsen, Aydin-Lauri & Chagaev-Sheppard this Friday, March 22nd in Berlin, Germany
Cuban 2004 Olympic gold medalist and former world heavyweight championship contender Odlanier Solis (18-1, 12 KOs) and former World Boxing Council (WBC) Silver welterweight champion Selcuk Aydin (23-2, 17 KOs) held a press conference in Berlin, Germany, talking about their upcoming bouts at “Universal Hall” this Friday (March 22nd).
“It feels good to be back in Germany”, said Solis. “I started my pro career over here and still have lots of friends in Berlin. In my last fight in Germany I suffered a bad injury when challenging Vitali Klitschko. But now me knee is well again. I am ready to go and want to prove that I am the best heavyweight fighter in the world.” Asked when he thinks he would be ready for another shot at the world title, the Cuban defector just smiled and said: “Ask the Klitschkos. I’m ready when they are.” Solis will face unbeaten Norwegian tough guy Leif Larsen (17-0, 14 KOs).
In the co-feature Turkish knockout artist Selcuk Aydin takes on Italian veteran Giuseppe Lauri (53-11, 31 KOs). Just like Solis Aydin is returning to Germany where he gave his pro debut over six years ago. It is his first fight after losing two in a row in the United States to Robert Guerrero and Jesus Soto Karass. “It was a close fight against Guerrero which I could have won if it hadn’t been in his backyard. But that’s the business. Now he is fighting Floyd Mayweather and I am back in Berlin. I want to fight my way back to the top and I will prove on Friday that these two losses didn’t break me.”
Promoter Ahmet Oner is excited to present such an excellent card in Germany. “Solis and Aydin are world class fighters. They are in good match-ups as well. This is an excellent card for Eurosport. Not a lot of promoters can bring elite fighters like this to Europe. It’s a restart for both of them. They have to show that they belong to the top. I’m looking forward to a great show.”
The card got even better when former world heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev (30-2-1, 19 KOs) was added at the press conference. The 34-year-old contender from Uzbekistan takes on US journeyman Mike Sheppard (20-14-1, 9 KOs).
The show will be broadcasted live on Eurosport starting at 9pm German time on Friday night.
More Boxing News:
- “Macho: The Hector Camacho Story” on Dec. 4 – Showtime
- Kambosos Jr: “Lee Selby Will Retire After This Fight!”
- Tommy Fury demoralized after training with SugarHill
- Farooq vs. Tecuapetla on Usyk vs Chisora DAZN undercard
- UFC Star Khabib: “Usyk Not Like Other Heavyweights”
- Joshua knows Usyk is a real threat to him says Oleksandr’s co-promoter
- Jaime Munguia vs. Tureano Johnson – preview & prediction for Oct.30
- ESPN ranks Terence Crawford #1 pound-for-pound, above Errol Spence
- Eddie Hearn blew chance to ink Tyson Fury in 2017
- Gary Russell Jr wants Miguel Berchelt at 130, asks WBC to order fight