Malignaggi & Bernstein think Abril could give Broner problems
By Scott Gilfoid: Showtime analysts Paulie Malignaggi and Al Berstein both believe that WBA World lightweight champion Richar Abril (18-3-1, 8 KO’s) would be more than a handful for WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner (26-0, 22 KO’s) if this fight gets made at some point in the future.
In light of the news released today about Golden Boy Promotions making a try for Malignaggi as Broner’s next opponent, we not see Broner facing Abril anytime soon because Broner would be moving up two divisions to face Malignaggi at welterweight.
But if Malignaggi says no, which is a definite possibility with him, then Broner vs. Abril is a fight that we could be seeing in the near future if Golden Boy Promotions is unable to match Broner against WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns in June.
Al Bernstein said “He’s [Abril] exactly the type of fighter who could prove to be a puzzle for Adrien Broner. Certainly [Ricky] Burns was the guy to fight him, as would [Miguel] Vazquez. The winner of that fight would have some claim certainly to fight Broner, but Richard Abril is definitely a man that is difficult to fight.
Malignaggi said “He [Abril] doesn’t just come at you. Adrien Broner hasn’t had to do much thinking. I’d like to see an opponent that actually makes Adrien Broner think, as opposed to Broner just beating them on natural talent. And Abril forces you to think. He’s got a jab, he doesn’t just cut distance for no reason. When he follows his right hand, he’ll follow it up. If not, he’ll keep you on the end of it. He’s 5’10” with an excellent jab. You’re going to have to think your way past his offense, and that’s something Broner’s opponents have not forced him to do because they just weren’t good enough.”
I think Abril would be a big problem for Broner because Abril’s long reach and his tendency to tie his opponents up when they try to move in punching distance. Broner would be forced to throw his best power shots with Abril literally holding onto his, and I’m not sure how much power Broner will be able to generate with someone holding onto him as much as Abril would be.
More Boxing News:
- Adrien Broner staying RETIRED until he gets $10 million
- Adrien Broner DEMANDS $10M from Al Haymon and Showtime for next fight
- Will Floyd Mayweather fight Adrien Broner?
- Thurman fires back at Broner
- Broner asking for $10M from Haymon: Is he worth it?
- Mike Tyson looking chiseled training for exhibition
- Manny Pacquiao reacts to Floyd Mayweather calling him an “OLD man”
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year