Lee Purdy vs. Cosme Rivera this Saturday in London, UK
By Scott Gilfoid: #10 IBF, welterweight contender Lee Purdy (19-3-1, 12 KO’s) will be facing replacement opponent 36-year-old Cosme Rivera (35-15-3, 24 KO’s) this Saturday night on the undercard of the Darren Barker vs. Simone Rotolo fight card at the Wembley Arena, in London, United Kingdom.
Purdy, 25, was supposed to be facing #7 IBF Carson Jones, but unfortunately Jones had to pull out of the fight making it necessary for Purdy’s promoter to reach out and grab the journeyman Rivera as a last minute replacement.
Purdy will be defending his IBF International welterweight strap in this fight. This actually could turn out to be a much tougher fight than Jones because Rivera is highly skilled and very experienced against world class opposition much better than Purdy.
Rivera has been in with the likes of Alfredo Angulo, Antonio Pitalua, Andre Berto, Raul Pinzon, Joel Julio, Zab Judah, Felix Flores, Mario Ramos, Diosbelys Hurtado, Hercules Kyvelos, Golden Johnson, Arturo Morua, Hector Quiroz, Ricky Quiles and Yordenis Ugas.
These guys are all much, much better than Purdy can ever dream to be, and that tells you the kind of experience that Rivera has over Purdy. If you look at Purdy’s resume, you’d be lucky to find one name that you’ve ever heard of before unless you’re the ultimate hardcore boxing fan or come from the UK and are familiar with these chaps.
Purdy’s biggest fights of his seven-year pro career have come against Craig Watson, Colin Lynes and Denton Vassell. Purdy was beaten by both Lynes and Vasell soundly. Those guys took the fight to Purdy, and were able to dominate him with their cleaner landing shots and their heavy pressure.
Purdy doesn’t have much in the way or power or defensive skills, so he was pretty much out of his element against those guys.
Rivera could win this fight if he’s able to bring to the ring the kind of talent and power he showed in his recent win over Antonio Pitalua in 2011.
More Boxing News:
- Santa Cruz’s father: My son didn’t lose to Frampton
- Lee Purdy faces Leonard Bundu this Saturday in London, UK
- Lee Purdy vs. Leonard Bundu on December 14th
- Devon Alexander suffers fractured left hand
- A Look Back on This Weekend’s Boxing – 17 & 18th May, 2013
- Mike Tyson looking chiseled training for exhibition
- Manny Pacquiao reacts to Floyd Mayweather calling him an “OLD man”
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year