Erik Skoglund vs. Luke Blackledge on April 13th
Team Sauerland is delighted to confirm that Swedish sensation Erik Skoglund (15-0, 9 KOs) will make the biggest fight of his young career in Frederikshavn on April 13. The 21-year-old will take on fellow unbeaten youngster Luke Blackledge (13-0-1, 5 KOs) for the prestigious World Boxing COuncil (WBC) Youth World Light Heavyweight Title. The 22-year-old British fighter came to fame last June when he knocked out Danish star Mads Larsen in the fourth round. Blackledge was originally slated to face Rudy Markussen, but a neck injury forced the “Hardhitter” to pull out of the fight. “Skoglund-Blackledge for the WBC Youth World Title is an exciting match-up,” promoter Nisse Sauerland added. “Erik has put together a nice winning streak and we believe he is ready for a big step up.”
Skoglund has won all of his 15 fights as a professional, having knocked out four of his last five opponents. “I´m ready for my first title fight,” he said. “To finally fight for a belt is like a dream coming true. I am very sorry about Rudy´s injury, I hope he can return to the ring soon. I feel like I have to step in for him and stand up for Scandinavian boxing. I want to give the Danish fans an exciting fight and make sure that Blackledge will not get another big win in Denmark. I saw his victory over Larsen. That was a good victory for him. He is a good fighter, but I am better. Things have been coming together nicely in my last fights. I think I am just too strong and powerful for Blackledge.”
Blackledge has fought at light heavyweight before. In the Nordic Fight Night´s co-featured main event, World Boxing Association (WBA), WBC & WBO Female Welterweight Champion Cecilia Braekhus will be defending her titles against American challenger Mia St. John. Torben Keller, Dennis Ceylan and Micki Nielsen will be flying the flag for Denmark, with Swedish amateur star Anthony Yigit making his professional debut. Tim-Robin Lihaug and Oscar Ahlin will add another chapter to the Norwegian-Swedish rivalry.
Tickets are available at www.arenanord.dk.
More Boxing News:
- Shakur Stevenson and Jessie Magdaleno to Headline June Cards
- Ricky Burns still has ‘a year or two left’ of remarkable story
- CES Boxing & Boston Boxing Offer Mike Tyson $1,000,000
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Dillian Whyte and Francis Ngannou meet in press conference on Saturday
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Eddie Hearn doubts injured Deontay Wilder will be ready to face Fury this year
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S