Canelo-Trout co-feature: Omar Figueroa vs. Abner Cotto
By Dan Ambrose: If you were hoping the co-main event would be a good one involving well known fighters on the undercard of the WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Austin Trout fight card on April 20th on Showtime, I have some bad news for you.
Golden Boy Promotions looks like they’ve decided just to please the local Texas boxing fans by having Texas fighter the unbeaten junior middleweight prospect Omar Figueroa (20-0-1, 16 KO’s) face unbeaten Puerto Rican prospect Abner Cotto (16-0, 7 KO’s) at the Alamodome, in San Antonio, Texas, USA.
ESPN writer Dan Rafael said “Also from Schaefer: Canelo-Trout co-feature going to be Omar Figueroa vs. Abner Cotto. Solid fight between unbeaten young guys. #boxing.”
I can’t say I’m all that interested in seeing prospects fight in the co-feature of a bout like Trout-Canelo. I’d much rather see some actual contenders, especially ones that have a future where they can win a title someday. I’ve seen Figueroa, 23, fight on a couple of occasions and I don’t see him a future world champion or future anything.
I just see the guy as a future fringe contender at best. He’s pretty limited and reminds me of a taller version of Antonio DeMarco with the same flaws in terms of not being able to move around the ring. The first good junior middleweight this guy faces that can move around the ring will box circles around this guy.
My guess is Golden Boy doesn’t have the cash to get a quality contender for the undercard after all the money they’re paying Canelo for the fight. After all, this isn’t a pay-per-view card, so it’s not as if they’ve got a ton of money to stack the undercard with quality fighters like they would do if the fight were PPV.
I think Figueroa will win this fight because Cotto isn’t a puncher, but who knows? If Cotto move around the ring and jab, he’ll win this fight.
- Canelo Alvarez wants revenge against Dmitry Bivol says Eddie Hearn
- Dmitry Bivol is “wanted man” says Bernard Hopkins
- David Benavidez can earn Canelo fight by defeating Caleb Plant on March 25th
- Eddie Hearn confident Canelo vs. Bivol II happens in September
- Anthony Yarde got moral victory against Artur Beterbiev says Paulie Malignaggi
- WBC president shuts down Beterbiev vs. Bivol, Artur must fight Callum Smith next
- Edgar Berlanga meets with Oscar La Hoya, could he sign with Golden Boy?
- Conor Benn to return to WBC rankings, getting favorable ruling from investigation