Victor Ortiz to perform on Dancing with the Stars on March 18th
By Dan Ambrose: Former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz (29-4-2, 22 KO’s) will competing outside of the boxing ring on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars on March 18th. Ortiz, 26, will be matched with Lindsay Arnold for the dance competition. Ortiz says he’s still letting his broken jaw heal.
Ortiz suffered a broken jaw last June in his loss to Josesito Lopez, and Ortiz is really taking his time getting back in the ring. At this point it looks like he’s going to use up a year of his career letting his jaw heal, and he might regret it later missing all that time.
The average healing time for a broken jaw is six weeks, and Ortiz has been out of the ring thus far eight months, and he doesn’t fight scheduled, so it’s likely he won’t be back in the ring until the summer, if then.
Ortiz said on his twitter “No, I am not quitting boxing. Just decided to kick some b*** on the dance floor while my jaw fully heals. Gotta stay competitive.”
It almost looks like Ortiz is in shut down mode with his career after his loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. in September 2011 because Ortiz pretty much phoned in his performance against Josesito Lopez last year, and that was Ortiz’s only fight in 2012. At this point it looks like Ortiz will only fight once in 2013 unless he all sudden gets busy, and that doesn’t seem to be happening.
Ortiz said recently that he plans beating all of the top fighters at 147 when he does come back to competition. I really don’t see that happening. When Ortiz does get back in the ring, he’s going to be incredibly rusty, and who knows whether he’ll ever be the same fighter that defeated Andre Berto two years ago. I don’t think he will. I believe Ortiz’s best days are behind him at this point.
- Victor Ortiz: ‘I’m here to reign once again’
- Victor Ortiz vs. John Molina Jr. cancelled; card still goes ahead for Sunday
- PBC looking to yank Victor Ortiz from Sunday’s card
- Victor Ortiz charged with sexual assault, Molina Jr. fight in jeopardy