Thompson smashes Price
By Steven Ocallaghan: David Price (15-1, 13 KO’s) was just knocked out and I’m still in shock. Price has just been knocked out in the 2nd round by veteran American Tony Thompson. I must admit m still in shock at how easy Price was knocked out. Price seamed to be in control but I suppose in the heavyweight division, if a guy who is almost 19st lands, it will hurt but it wasn’t a clean punch. What I’m most worried about Price is his inability to take a punch.
Price said the punches that hurt you are the ones you don’t see. I hate being hard on big Pricey but he is wrong. If he can’t see Thompson’s punches coming he is not going to go anywhere. He admitted he didn’t see it.
Lennox Lewis was knocked out but Lewis had the class to know where he went wrong. I suppose Wladimir Klitschko had been knocked out and moved on to become the no1 of he last 10 years, but I just thought, tonight, if you can’t take punch like that, wold level is miles away.
Price can hit hard against domestic level. But he hit Thompson with some good punches and he never looked in trouble.
Last year Price said he was 18 months away from a tittle shot, after that he is much further away than he thought. If Thomson can stop him, Wladimir will put him to sleep.
Tyson Fury, who put Price down I. The amateurs has consistently berated Price, it seams he was right. Thompson has now been soundly beaten twice of Wladimir, so he is a fighter for other guys to test themselves against , but it’s a long road back now.
You can teach skills but you can’t teach a good chin. Wladimir was lucky he had Manny Steward who taught Wladimir how to deal with the same problem.
I honestly thought Price was the heir to Wlads throne but now I have serious doubts if he can make it past European level. If he can’t see a slow out of shape Thompson’s punches, what does that say for his future.
The thing I suppose that wrings a bell is Frank Bruno. Bruno could punch you into next week, but if a gust of wind passed his chin he was on his rear. Similarities. Price, knowing he can’t take a great punch had his left by his waist all night, well 5 minutes, and got caught on his left side. Lazy boxing, if Price learns from this , maybe he has a future but don’t hold your breath
More Boxing News:
- Prograis vs. Taylor Review including undercard
- Haye: Dereck Chisora wants Oleksandr Usyk
- David Price reacts to his loss to Dereck Chisora
- Dereck Chisora: “I’ll fight Big Baby Miller on AJ-Ruiz in Saudi”
- Josh Taylor defeats Regis Prograis – live results
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Krzysztof Glowacki-Lawrence Okolie and John Ryder-David Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing
- Tyson Fury reaffirms he’s fighting on December 5th in London
- Inoue vs. Moloney: Jason will have big problems against Naoya on October 31st