Steve Pearce vs. Luke Gallear on Friday, March 1st
By Daniel Mole
Stourbridge’s Steve Pearce has stepped in as a late replacement for Joel Ryan ahead of Friday’s Midlands Area Welterweight showdown against Derby’s Luke Gallear.
A chest infection has laid Ryan low with the Walsall man unable to train for the past seven days. After speaking to Manager and Promoter Errol Johnson last night ,a decision was made to pull Ryan from the show and replace him with ‘Fierce Pearce’.
“The chest infection has really knocked Joel off his feet,” Johnson told www.uko-boxing.com. “He’d been training hard and was looking good. He did 10 rounds sparring last Monday but started feeling ill the following morning.
“He went to the doctors and has been taking a course of antibiotics but he’s still bed-ridden and we just can’t risk him.
“Steven was next in line for a shot at the Midlands Area Title anyway, so it made sense to bring his opportunity forward.
“Gallear versus Pearce will be a war. Neither will take a backwards step, so the fans will be in for a real treat.”
Pearce’s last outing was at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in January when he took part in Prizefighter: The Welterweights III. It was on that night that he suffered his first defeat as a professional after being stopped by eventual Prizefighter winner, Glenn Foot.
Before then, the 28 year-old ( now 6-1) had enjoyed a perfect start to his professional career and will be determined to get back to winning ways against Gallear at Burton Town Hall on Friday (1st March).
Gallear (4-4-2), also 28, goes into the fight on the back of a December loss to debutant, Tony Dixon. However, he has enjoyed a solid training camp ahead of this title shot, whereas Pearce has taken the fight at just four days notice.
The undercard is made up of three intriguing battles.
Burton’s Tom Shaw (8-1) takes on Birmingham’s Jason Nesbitt (9-161-4).
The local Light Welterweight suffered a first professional defeat at the fists of Mark McKray back in January and will be expected to get back to winning ways against the veteran fighter.
Dudley prospect, Kyle Spencer (4-0), takes on Jimmy Price (0-0-1) whilst Tamworth’s Matt Seawright (3-69-4) faces Exeter’s Faheem Khan (4-0-1) in a re-match following Khan’s controversial points victory back in November.
Tickets for the Burton Town Hall show how are priced at £30 unreserved seating and £50 Ringside. They are available from Burton Town Hall Box Office on 0128 350 8547. Doors open at 7.00pm with boxing commencing at 8.00pm.
More Boxing News:
- Shakur Stevenson and Jessie Magdaleno to Headline June Cards
- Ricky Burns still has ‘a year or two left’ of remarkable story
- CES Boxing & Boston Boxing Offer Mike Tyson $1,000,000
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- Dillian Whyte and Francis Ngannou meet in press conference on Saturday
- Golovkin prefers Kamil Szeremeta over Canelo trilogy
- Tim Bradley says Shakur Stevenson could be the successor to Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Eddie Hearn doubts injured Deontay Wilder will be ready to face Fury this year
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S