Price vs. Thompson: Tony has the size but he’s missing the power
By Scott Gilfoid: If you break down the qualities that are needed to defeat unbeaten British heavyweight David Price (15-0, 13 KO’s), you would probably need a heavyweight with good power like Roberto Cammarelle, good size like Tony Thompson (36-3, 24 KO’s), and good hand speed like Deontay Wilder.
Unfortunately for the 41-year-old Thompson, he only has good size at 6’5”. He’s got one thing going for him, but he’s missing the power and speed needed to KO Price the way that Cammarelle did in the 2008 Olympics.
I’m not saying that Thompson doesn’t have a chance because he’s got a chance because Price’s chin is fragile, and he could go at any moment if he’s hit hard by Thompson. But I don’t really rate Thompson as being any kind of puncher because he just doesn’t have much power. I mean, he can knock you out but that only happens when he’s been slapping his opponent for around for three or four rounds without stop.
Thompson has knockout wins over Maurice Harris, Owen Beck, Adnan Serin and Paul Marinaccio. I don’t consider Thompson as having a better chin than those guys, but what he does have is better power. Price would likely be knocked out in the 3rd or 4th round if Thompson was able to land his power shots against him without stop.
However, that might not happen if Thompson can’t handle Price’s own power shots before then. It comes down to this: If Thompson can take Price’s shots for four rounds, and hit him as much as he did Harris, Beck, Serin and Marinaccio, then I have no doubts in my mind that Thompson will KO Price and badly expose him in the process for still having a fragile chin. But I just don’t think Thompson has the youth and chin to be able to stand up to Price’s big shots in the early rounds of the fight.
More Boxing News:
- Prograis vs. Taylor Review including undercard
- Haye: Dereck Chisora wants Oleksandr Usyk
- David Price reacts to his loss to Dereck Chisora
- Dereck Chisora: “I’ll fight Big Baby Miller on AJ-Ruiz in Saudi”
- Josh Taylor defeats Regis Prograis – live results
- Gervonta Davis wants Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell winner
- Boxing Results: Jose Zepeda defeats Kendo Castaneda
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol in August; Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong in Aug/Sep
- Ryan Garcia: My return is coming
- John Riel Casimero needs a tune-up while waiting for Naoya Inoue