Marquez should hold out for 50-50 deal from Pacquiao
By Chris Williams: Juan Manuel Marquez says he has zero interest in facing Manny Pacquiao again because he’s already proven all he needed to in their four previous fights. Some of boxing fans feel that Marquez is merely doing this to get a better financial deal from Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum for a fifth fight.
If you look at the disparity of what each fighter made for their fourth fight last December, it was heavily weighted in Pacquiao’s favor with him receiving a guaranteed $25 million to Marquez’s $3 million.
Those numbers would make sense if the buys for the fight were mostly coming from fans that were purchasing it to see Pacquiao, but I’m guessing that as much as half of the pay per view buys were coming from Marquez’s Mexican fans in the United States, so it wasn’t a good deal that Marquez only received a small amount compared to Pacquiao’s purse split.
Marquez has no real reason to fight Pacquiao again other than to get one last payday before retiring. However, unless Marquez receives a 50-50 deal, which he properly deserves given how many Mexican fans he brings to the table, then it’s not worth it for him. Can you imagine Saul “Canelo” Alvarez agreeing to a purse split with Pacquiao where he only receives a small amount compared to Pacquiao’s purse?
I don’t think Canelo would do it because he knows his fans would be bringing in half of the PPV numbers, and he wouldn’t be willing to let Pacquiao hog the money that is coming his fans on PPV. Marquez should be the same way. If you look at the last two Pacquiao-Marquez fights in Las Vegas, it looked like the majority of the fans that showed were Mexican fans of Marquez.
They easily were much louder than Pacquiao’s fans, and I think those numbers carried over to PPV. So, unless Arum and Pacquiao want to give Marquez a 50-50 deal for a 5th fight, I don’t think he should waste his time fighting Pacquiao again. He’s already helped Pacquiao get two huge PPV fights in the past two years, but he wasn’t given Pacquiao money for either of those fights.
More Boxing News:
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Mikey Garcia has Manny Pacquiao at top of his list for his next opponent
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Golovkin will HURT Pacquiao says trainer Abel Sanchez
- Robert Guerrero wants Pacquiao and Thurman fights
- Michael Hunter: I’d STOP Dillian Whyte; I beat Tyson Fury bad
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback