Bryant Jennings willing to fight Seth Mitchell on February 16
Philadelphia, PA—Undefeated heavyweight contender Bryant Jennings, with his sights set on a world heavyweight championship fight, now is willing to step in for the injured Jonathon Banks and take on once-beaten Seth Mitchell on April 16 in Atlantic City, NJ.
Jennings, who beat then-undefeated lefty Maurice Byarm on six days’ notice one year ago, stays in shape and will gladly fight Mitchell on the HBO-televised card, according to his promoter, J Russell Peltz.
“If we cannot get (Wladimir) Klitschko, we’ll keep calling out all the other heavyweights until one of them decides to fight Bryant,” Peltz said. “Today’s fighters have to get in shape. The old-timers stayed in shape and Jennings trains like the old-timers—he’s always ready.
“I spoke with Eric Gomez (Golden Boy matchmaker) today and told him Jennings was ready, willing and able.”
Jennings, 28, of Philadelphia, is ranked No. 3 by the International Boxing Federation (IBF) and No. 22 by the World Boxing Council (WBC). He turned pro in 2010 and is 16-0, 8 K0s, and he holds the USBA heavyweight title.
An unknown at this time last year, Jennings broke into the heavyweight picture by winning five fights in 2013. In addition to beating Byarm, he also K0d ex-WBO champion Sergei Liakhovich and he won the vacant USBSA title by pitching a shutout against iron-chinned Steve Collins, of Houston, TX.
In his last fight Dec. 8 in Philadelphia, Jennings defended the USBA crown by knocking out Bowie Tupou, of Tonga, in five rounds.
All of those 2013 fights were televised as part of the NBC Sports Network Fight Night series.
“Let them (Golden Boy) put the money on the table they gave to Chazz Witherspoon or to Jonathon Banks and we’ll be happy to accommodate them,” said Fred Jenkins, who manages and trains Jennings. “We’re right here in Philadelphia and we’ll bring plenty of fans to the fight.”
More Boxing News:
- Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton fight to majority draw
- Dave Allen vs. Christopher Lovejoy on Oct.31 on Usyk-Chisora card on DAZN
- Video: Gervonta Davis vs. Leo Santa Cruz – All Access Episode 2
- Derek Chisora says Usyk is in store for the “fright of his life”
- Saunders Vs. Murray Lands On December 4 in London
- Boxing Results: Sergey Lipinets and Custio Clayton ends in 12-round draw
- Devin Haney reacts to Mayweather saying “too many belts”
- Hearn says Krzysztof Glowacki-Lawrence Okolie and John Ryder-David Lemieux possible for Joshua-Pulev card on Dec.12
- Gervonta Davis: Teofimo Lopez’s win over Lomachenko wasn’t convincing
- Tyson Fury reaffirms he’s fighting on December 5th in London