IABA UPDATE (2013 ELITE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS FINALS TO BE HELD AT NATIONAL STADIUM)
Irish Amateur Boxing Association
The Irish Daily Star sponsored 2013 Elite National Championships finals will be held at the National Stadium in Dublin on Friday, February 22nd.
The Irish Amateur Boxing Association (IABA) had planned to hold the preliminaries, quarter-finals and semi-finals of the Championships at the National Stadium and the finals at the Citywest Hotel in Dublin on February 22nd.
However, IABA President Tommy Murphy confirmed this afternoon that due to financial considerations that the entire tournament will now be held at the National Stadium, the headquarters of the IABA.
He said: “Due to the enormous success of our boxers at the London Olympics, the IABA had initially intended to hold our finals night for the Elite National Championships at the Citywest Hotel to bring our sport to a wider audience.
“Basically, the Citywest Hotel has a bigger capacity than the National Stadium and doesn’t have the same restrictions. We all witnessed the enormous crowds that supported our boxers at the Olympic Games in London and the tremendous atmosphere they created and we were trying reach out to that audience.
“However, following consultation with the IABA Officer Board today we have now decided to hold the entire tournament at the National Stadium.
“As President of the Irish Amateur Boxing Association, I couldn’t stand over a decision which would have financially compromised the Association.”
“The IABA would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused. We look forward to welcoming you to the National Stadium for the 2013 Elite National Championships.”
Tickets already purchased for the Citywest Hotel will be honoured. Further ticket information will be forthcoming.
The 2013 Elite National Championships begin at the National Stadium on Friday (February 8th). Boxing starts at 7pm.
More Boxing News:
- Jeff Afori faces Archie Sharp tonight on Frampton vs. Traynor card
- Boxing Results: Felix Cash stops Jason Welborne in 5th round
- Cecilia Braekhus v Jessica McCaskill DAZN Weigh In Results
- Benavidez vs Angulo Weigh In Results – Benavidez Fails to Make Weight!
- Frampton vs Traynor, Conlan vs Takoucht BT Sport / ESPN Weigh In Results
- David Benavidez: Is it time to move up to 175?
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Hearn hints Fury won’t get same deal with Joshua if he vacates WBC title without fighting Whyte
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner