Hearn: Brook-Alexander fight on Peterson vs. Matthysse card on May 18th
By Scott Gilfoid: Promoter Eddie Hearn is saying that his fighter unbeaten welterweight Kell Brook (29-0, 19 KO’s) will be fighting IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KO’s) on May 18th on the undercard of the Lamont Peterson vs. Lucas Matthysse card in Washington, DC.
If they fight at the Convention Center they could draw a huge crowd of more than 10,000, and that is easily the best number you can get for a fight card like this in the United States.
Hearn said to I Film London “We’re [Kell Brook] looking at May 18th on the Peterson vs. Matthysse card in Washington, DC. I don’t care what day it is or where it is. I just want the result. I think he [Brook] was born to be champion, and it doesn’t matter if it’s 10 weeks later, he’s still going to get on the card.”
Brook doesn’t really look like world championship material to me, unless you consider Carson Jones a world championship quality fighter. I don’t see Jones as being good enough to be a world champion, and we saw Jones handle Brook last year in dominating him for the last six rounds of their fight in July.
Brook, who was fighting at home in the UK, was given a 12 round majority decision, but I had Jones winning narrowly based on him sweeping the last six rounds of the fight and winning one of the first six rounds. I know Hearn’s fighter Gavin Rees didn’t do too well recently, and he probably needs Brook to get him back on the winning track, but I just don’t see Brook as being capable beating Alexander.
I rate Alexander as a much better fighter than Jones, and look what happened to Brook when he fought Jones.
Alexander will fight well in Washington, DC, and I see him winning in an impressive fashion. Brook lacks the arm reach, the speed, and the combination punching to beat a talent like Alexander.
More Boxing News:
- Crawford fight looking SLIM for Brook in 2020
- Kell Brook confident Terence Crawford clash happens
- John Fewkes opens up on Kell Brook split and issue with Dominic Ingle
- Liam Smith wants Kell Brook
- Amir Khan: ‘Kell Brook needs me more than I need him’
- Andy Lee: Tyson Fury mentally BREAKS Anthony Joshua and stops him
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Luis Ortiz fighting in August or September, wants Mike Tyson
- Errol Spence GLOATING on taking Keith Thurman’s spot at the top of 147 lb division
- Gervonta Davis days with Mayweather Promotions could be numbered