Hearn: Brook-Alexander fight on Peterson vs. Matthysse card on May 18th
By Scott Gilfoid: Promoter Eddie Hearn is saying that his fighter unbeaten welterweight Kell Brook (29-0, 19 KO’s) will be fighting IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (24-1, 13 KO’s) on May 18th on the undercard of the Lamont Peterson vs. Lucas Matthysse card in Washington, DC.
If they fight at the Convention Center they could draw a huge crowd of more than 10,000, and that is easily the best number you can get for a fight card like this in the United States.
Hearn said to I Film London “We’re [Kell Brook] looking at May 18th on the Peterson vs. Matthysse card in Washington, DC. I don’t care what day it is or where it is. I just want the result. I think he [Brook] was born to be champion, and it doesn’t matter if it’s 10 weeks later, he’s still going to get on the card.”
Brook doesn’t really look like world championship material to me, unless you consider Carson Jones a world championship quality fighter. I don’t see Jones as being good enough to be a world champion, and we saw Jones handle Brook last year in dominating him for the last six rounds of their fight in July.
Brook, who was fighting at home in the UK, was given a 12 round majority decision, but I had Jones winning narrowly based on him sweeping the last six rounds of the fight and winning one of the first six rounds. I know Hearn’s fighter Gavin Rees didn’t do too well recently, and he probably needs Brook to get him back on the winning track, but I just don’t see Brook as being capable beating Alexander.
I rate Alexander as a much better fighter than Jones, and look what happened to Brook when he fought Jones.
Alexander will fight well in Washington, DC, and I see him winning in an impressive fashion. Brook lacks the arm reach, the speed, and the combination punching to beat a talent like Alexander.
More Boxing News:
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Kell Brook calls out Terence Crawford for November 2020
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Arum lists Crawford’s options: Brook, Thurman, Porter or Ugas
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner
- VIDEO: Featherweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 3
- Teofimo Lopez to be made ‘Franchise champion’ if he beats Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020