Donaire: I have decided NOT to cancel Rigondeaux fight
By Chris Williams: WBO super bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (31-1, 20 KO’s) was upset over the weekend due to his opponent WBA super bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux (11-0, 8 KO’s) being a little late in starting the testing by the VADA for performance enhancing drugs for their April 13th fight at the Radio City Music Hall, New York, New York, USA.
Donaire was thinking about canceling the fight, but he says he’s decided not to for the sake of his fans and not upsetting HBO.
Donaire sent this statement to Doghouseboxing.com: “The requirements of drug testing set forth in the negotiations for the fight with Rigondeaux was not met by the deadline…I have the option to cancel the fight at this point. I have decided to follow through with the fight in April out of respect for HBO and my fans who have bought tickets.”
It’s hard to believe what a big deal Donaire is making about Rigondeaux being a little late to begin testing. For Donaire to be thinking of canceling the fight over something as small this makes you wonder whether he really wants the fight.
I don’t remember Donaire threatening to cancel fights against the older fighters he beaten recently Jorge Arce and Toshiaki Nishioka, and it just seems weird strange that he’s all worked up now that he’s arguably fighting his most dangerous opponent of his career in Rigondeaux.
If Donaire had pulled out of the Rigondeaux fight he’d be shooting himself in the foot literally because boxing fans want this fight, and so does HBO. Donaire already said no to a $3 million offer made by Abner Mares’ promoters at Golden Boy, and for Donaire to pull out of the Rigoneaux fight would leave some fans to wonder if Donaire is just not into facing the real tough opponents. Mares and Rigondeaux are arguably levels above the guys that Donaire beat last year to become the Fighter of the Year.
More Boxing News:
- Nonito Donaire motivated for ‘The Takeover’ at 118
- Nordine Oubaali vs. Nonito Donaire on May 16 on Showtime
- 2020 – The end of legends?
- Rigondeaux: ‘I’m going MONSTER hunting’ for Naoya Inoue
- Post-Mexican Style, or An Era of Truly Global Boxing
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”