Don George: I can’t be beat at middleweight
‘At 160 lbs. I Can’t Be Beat!’
Heavy-handed slugger Don “Da Bomb” George (24-3-1, 21 KOs) made his debut at middleweight a quick one on Friday, February 1, as he demolished Springfield, Missouri’s James Cook in less than a round at the UIC Pavilion in George’s hometown of Chicago.
The normally durable Cook had gone five rounds with world-class middleweight Andy Lee in his previous fight, but one body shot from George was enough to force him to call it a night.
“At 160 lbs., no one can take my power,” said an enthusiastic George, post-fight. “I was knocking them out at 168, so imagine what’s going to happen when I hit a smaller middleweight on the button. No one at this weight can take my power.”
“Don was a little small at super middleweight, but his power still allowed him to lay out bigger guys. But at middleweight, he’s going to be a force. Gennady Golovkin, Chavez Jr., Quillen, none of these guys could handle what Don George brings at this lower weight. He was the hardest punching and most durable guy in the world at 168. At 160, he’s a nuclear bomb that’s ready to explode,” said George’s co-promoter, Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing (along with Domenic Pesoli of 8 Count Productions and Lou DiBella of DiBella Entertainment).
DiBella and Pesoli, agree.
“Donovan was one of the hardest punching and most exciting fighters in the 168-lb. division. Now, fighting at his proper weight of 160 lbs., Donovan will immediately become a serious force to be reckoned with,” said DiBella.
“Over the course of his career, Donovan has shown an uncommon will to win and with the move down to 160, we expect that he will be able to compete with any of the top middleweights in the world,” added Pesoli. “We expect to see a stronger Donovan at 160 which should greatly enhance his opportunities at the world-class level.”
More Boxing News:
- Covid-19: Matchroom Boxing Schedule Update
- Golden Boy to show Ryan Garcia documenatory on DAZN – March 30
- Israel Vázquez vs. Rafael Márquez to re-air on SHOWTIME on March 28
- Claressa Shields vs Marie-Eve Dicaire May 9 Fight Postponed
- MTK Global signs heavyweight hero Dave Allen
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen