Banks injures thumb, fight with Mitchell to be postponed
DETROIT, MI (February 7, 2013) WBC International and NABO Heavyweight Champion Johnathon Banks has suffered a thumb injury on his right hand which has postponed his rematch with Seth Mitchell, scheduled for Saturday, FEBRUARY 16 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
In what was an action packed heavyweight championship fight last November 17, Banks dropped Mitchell three times in the second round enroute to a devastating stoppage. The fight was at the same venue and broadcast on HBO as the rematch was scheduled for.
“I was sparring on Monday and I felt something wrong with my right thumb while we were in the ring. On Tuesday, I went to a hand specialist here in Detroit, there is a broken bone in the thumb and he diagnosed that it would take six weeks to heal.”
“I was having a terrific camp and was truly looking to facing Seth again. Hopefully the bout can be rescheduled soon and I can get back in the ring in the near future.”
The 30-year-old Banks is undefeated as a heavyweight and holds a record of 29-1-1 with nineteen knockouts and is currently world ranked #3 by the WBC, #3 by the WBO, #5 by the IBF and #8 by the WBA. He is promoted by K2 Promotions.
“We regret having to cancel Johnathon’s rematch due to the thumb injury he suffered on Tuesday and we hope to reschedule this fight as soon as possible” said Tom Loeffler, Managing Director of K2 Promotions.
“It’s an unfortunate set of circumstances that this occurred. Its ironic that it is very similar in nature to the right hand injury that Mitchell suffered last May which caused the postponement of the first bout from JULY 14 to NOVEMBER 17.”
Further details on a new date for the rematch will be announced shortly.
More Boxing News:
- Ruben Torres vs. Oscar Bravo on July 26
- Devin Haney ready to return to the ring
- Boxing Results: Brad Foster defeats James Beech
- Boxing Back After 104 Covid-19 Tests Returned Negative
- Carlos Takam wins a unanimous decision over Jerry Forrest
- David Benavidez vs. Roamer Angulo on August 15 on SHOWTIME
- Gervonta Davis batters Ivan Redkach in sparring
- Adrien Broner returning to 140 as the new CASH cow
- Eleider Alvarez vs. Joe Smith Jr rescheduled for August
- Srisaket Sor Rungvisai battles Amnat Ruenroeng on August 1 in Thailand