Arum: Guerrero has a great shot at beating Mayweather on May 4th
By Chris Williams: Bob Arum of Top Rank believes Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (31-1-1, 18 KO’s) has a good chance of pulling off an upset over WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26 KO’s) on May 4th.
Arum is going the opposite way of conventional wisdom because few boxing fans are giving the much slower and easier to hit Guerrero any chance of winning this fight against the faster, more experienced and much more talented Mayweather.
Arum said to the Manilastandardtoday.com “It’s going to be a fight and I think Guerrero has a hell of a shot. I really believe that.”
I think it would definitely help Arum and his #1 fighter Manny Pacquiao if Guerrero beat Mayweather because that make Pacquiao’s recent losses to Tim Bradley and Juan Manuel Marquez not look quite so bad. If Mayweather is losing too then Pacquiao doesn’t look quite so faded, but it still won’t change the fact that Pacquiao has lost his last two fights, and will likely continue to lose if Arum wants to keep putting him in with Marquez over and over again.
Guerrero is simply too slow for Mayweather and it’s going to be one of those ugly fights where one guy is just a punching bag for another. Guerrero only has one way of beating Mayweather and that’s by getting in close and outworking him over 12 rounds. It’s a blue-collar type of approach to winning a fight, and it works when Guerrero is facing limited fighters that don’t have the hand speed and the talent to light him up the way that Mayweather will. However, this fight is going to be ugly on May 4th due to Mayweather’s huge talent advantage, and we may see Guerrero resort to physical play in order to try and make up for what he’s unable to do.
I just hope the fight doesn’t descend into the type of fight that we saw in the Mayweather vs. Victor Ortiz fight where Ortiz head-butts Mayweather, and this leads to Mayweather tagging Ortiz when he was still trying to apologize.
More Boxing News:
- KSI addresses Mayweather vs. Logan Paul rumors: “This ain’t happening”
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Conor McGregor says he carried Floyd Mayweather 3 years ago
- Santa Cruz says Mayweather is training Tank Davis for nothing; he won’t change
- Porter: Erislandy Lara is the next guy for Jermell Charlo at 154
- David Haye warns Usyk: It only takes one shot, Chisora will cause an upset
- Regis Prograis vs. Juan Heraldez on Oct.24 on Tank vs. Santa Cruz card
- Murat Gassiev to face Kevin Johnson on Oct.31 in Russia
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor