Andy Lee battles Anthony Fitzgerald this Saturday, February 9th
elfast, Northern Ireland/New York, NY (2/5/13) – On Saturday night, “Irish” Andy Lee, returns DBE to the ring for the first time since his unsuccessful bid at claiming the World Boxing Council (WBC) Middleweight Championship when he takes on Anthony Fitzgerald (13-3, 4KO’s) at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast, Northern Ireland. The bout is scheduled for 10 rounds in the middleweight division and is promoted by Matchroom Sport in association with DiBella Entertainment.
Sporting an impressive 28-2, 20KO’s, record and ranked #7 by the WBC and #9 by the WBA in the middleweight world ratings, Lee, the 2004 Irish Olympian, is looking to get back into the win column and make another run at capturing a piece of the middleweight crown. Lee is now training out of London with Adam Booth, who took over the reigns after the tragic death of Lee’s longtime trainer and mentor Emanuel Steward.
“I’m ready to fight,” said Lee. “My training has gone to plan. I’m really enjoying working with Adam. I am learning and improving with every training session. I’m very focused for this fight and expect a good performance.
“First and foremost, I want to thank my good friend Eddie Hearn and Matchroom Sport for allowing Andy to be on this card,” said Lee’s promoter Lou DiBella. “Andy is still one of the top middleweights in the world, and we expect a great performance out of him Saturday night.”
More Boxing News:
- Santiago Vs. Garcia Weights From Tijuana, Mexico
- Mairis Briedis vs Yuniel Dorticos WBSS Cruiser Final on Sept. 26
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Results / Photos: Lubin beats Gausha to earn rematch with Jermell Charlo
- Charles Conwell vs. Wendy Toussaint on October 7 on Showtime
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk