Yoan Pablo Hernandez fractures hand, fight with Fields off
Bad luck for Yoan Pablo Hernandez (27-1, 13 KOs): The International Boxing Federation (IBF) World Champion
broke his left hand during a sparring session ahead of his upcoming fight on
February 2. Hernandez was set to defend his title against Eric Fields (21-1,
15 KOs) at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin, Germany as part of the show
topped by the European Light Heavyweight Championship between Eduard
Gutknecht (24-1, 9 KOs) and Juergen Braehmer (38-2, 30 KOs), which will
still go ahead as planned.
Frederick Ness, Managing Director of Sauerland Event said: “We will stand by
Pablo and will make sure that he receives the best medical attention out
there. We are all hoping that he gets back as soon as possible.”
Unfortunately for Hernandez, this is not the first time that his left hand
is a cause for concern. He suffered the same sort of fracture during his
impressive performance against Steve Cunningham back in February 2012.
A replacement for the IBF Cruiserweight Championship has already been found.
28-year-old Robert Woge (10-0, 9 KOs) will fight instead of Hernandez with
his opponent to be announced shortly. The light heavyweight is known for his
spectacular and hugely entertaining style and has won all of his ten
professional bouts, with nine KOs to his name. In addition, the fans at the
Max-Schmeling-Halle can also look forward to their local heroes Dustin Dirks
(26-0, 19 KOs), Enrico Kölling (3-0) as well as Tyron Zeuge (5-0, 4 KOs).
Also fighting in Berlin will be Dominik Britsch (26-1-1, 9 KOs) who gives
his super-middleweight debut.
Tickets for the big fight night at the Max-Schmeling-Halle in Berlin,
Germany can be purchased at www.boxen.com and www.eventim.de.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Jamal James defeats Thomas Dulorme
- Boxing Results: Terri Harper and Natasha Jonas fight to a 10-round draw
- Fox Sports and PBC announce blockbuster schedule for 2020
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol on August 29 LIVE on ESPN+
- McCaskill: Beating Braekhus Leads To More Mega-Fights
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism