Weights: Salido-Garcia, Golovkin-Rosado
By Jim Dower: WBO featherweight champion Orlando Salido (39-11-1, 27 KO’s) weighed in today for his fight on Saturday against Mikey Garcia (30-0, 26 KO’s) at Madison Square Garden. The fight will be televised by HBO. Salido came in at 126 pounds.
Salido looked a little weight drained and he didn’t appear confident compared to in his two fights with Juan Manuel Lopez. Salido looked really nervous. This might not mean anything but it’s odd to see him look this way. Garcia weighed in at 125.6 lbs and didn’t show any signs of having problems making weight.
This is a classic match-up of a young puncher in Garcia taking on the highly skilled veteran. However, in this case not much separates the two fighters in terms of power. Salido can punch, and he’s got the better work rate, inside fighting ability, and experience compared to Garcia. What Garcia has is more reach, a better jab, and youth. Whether that’ll be enough for him to get past Salido is the big question. It might not be enough if he can’t handle the pressure from him.
In the co-main event, WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (24-0, 21 KO’s) weighed in at right on the middleweight limit at 160 lbs. His opponent Gabriel Rosado (21-5, 13 KO’s) came in at 159 and looked good. Rosado appears to be about an inch or two taller than Golovkin when the two fighters stood next to each other. It’s not much of a size advantage, but Rosado has been busy playing it up for the past few weeks as one of the reasons why he feels he’ll beat Golovkin on Saturday night.
Orlando Salido 126 – Mikey Garcia 125.6
Gennady Golovkin 160 – Gabriel Rosado 159
Roman Martinez 129.5 – Juan Carlos Burgos 129
Felix Verdejo 130.5 – Tomi Archambault 129.5
Sean Monaghan 177.5 vs. Roger Cantrell 184.5
Glen Tapia 153.5 – Ayi Bruce 153.25
Isa Akberbayev 196.5 – Anthony Ferrante 196
Mikael Zewski 149.5 – Brandon Hoskins 146.5
Ronald Ellis 168.5 – Steven Tyner 170
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Gennadiy Golovkin vs. Kamil Szeremeta still being negotiated
- Gary Russell Jr: Is Mikey Garcia scared to fight me?
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner
- VIDEO: Featherweights – Boxing Survey Series Part 3
- Teofimo Lopez to be made ‘Franchise champion’ if he beats Vasiliy Lomachenko
- Andy Ruiz Jr. and Chris Arreola have agreed to fight in late 2020