Salido-Garcia, Martinez-Burgos quotes for Saturday’s fights at Madison Square Garden
NEW YORK (January 16, 2013) — Workouts took place today, Wednesday, at Kingsway Boxing Gym in New York for Saturday’s World Championship Triple Header at the Theater at Madison Square Garden.
Bob Arum: We have three really good fights on this card Saturday night. New York City has a very intelligent boxing fan base. You have to understand that when you put on a fight in New York City, you have to put a good card together for it to sell.
JUAN CARLOS BURGOS: This is my second opportunity for a world title and I don’t know if this chance will ever come again. I am dedicating this fight to my uncle (Victor Burgos). Ten years ago my uncle won his world championship. He won the title against a Puerto Rican and on Saturday night I can win a world title against a Puerto Rican also.
ROMAN MARTINEZ: (Martinez arrived in a Carmelo Anthony #7 Knicks jersey). I am wearing this jersey for ‘Melo because his father is Puerto Rican (his mom is African-American). I am representing my country in this fight. I think working the body is the biggest key for me in this fight. I think that will be to my advantage because of how tall Burgos is. I learned a lot in my last fight against (Miguel Jr) Beltran (split decision win on September 15, 2011). After that fight I went right back to the gym and haven’t stopped training since.
MIKEY GARCIA: People have been talking about this being the first big fight of the year and I’m glad to be a part of it. Everyone expects to see a good fight and they want to see a good fight. I am going to try and dictate the pace, but if I have to slug it out, I will. He will probably try and come in and if he does, I’ll be landing punches. He’ll find out that I have the power to hurt him. I will use counter-punches and throw the jab. Whatever it takes. We will see round-by-round how I will fight.
ORLANDO SALIDO: I come to fight. I give it my all every round. I want to give the fans a good fight but I know it will be a difficult fight.
* * Martinez and Garcia crossed paths in the gym and to everyone’s surprise, embraced and chatted for a few minutes. What could they possibly be talking about? “I just told him that we should go out there and put on a good show. A show that people will talk about for ages,” said Garcia. “He agreed.”
ORLANDO “Siri” SALIDO will defend his World Boxing Organization (WBO) featherweight title against undefeated No. 1 contender MIKEY GARCIA; undefeated World Boxing Association (WBA) / International Boxing Organization (IBO) middleweight champion GENNADY “GGG” GOLOVKIN will look to extend his reign into its third year against world-rated contender “King”GABRIEL ROSADO; and two-time WBO junior lightweight champion ROMAN “Rocky” MARTINEZ will put it all on the line when he goes mano a mano with No. 1 contender JUAN CARLOS “Mini” BURGOS. All three fights will be televised live on HBO Boxing After Dark®, Saturday, January 19, beginning at 9:45 p.m. ET/PT.
These six warriors have a combined record of 170-18-3 (123 KOs) — a winning percentage of 89% and a victory by knockout ratio of 72%.
Promoted by Top Rank® and K2 Promotions, in association with Tecate and Madison Square Garden, remaining tickets, priced at $200, $100, $50 and $25, are currently available for purchase at the Madison Square Garden Box Office, all Ticketmaster outlets, Ticketmaster charge by phone (866-858-0008) and online at www.ticketmaster.com or www.thegarden.com
For fight updates go to www.toprank.com or www.hbo.com/boxing.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Jamal James defeats Thomas Dulorme
- Boxing Results: Terri Harper and Natasha Jonas fight to a 10-round draw
- Fox Sports and PBC announce blockbuster schedule for 2020
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol on August 29 LIVE on ESPN+
- McCaskill: Beating Braekhus Leads To More Mega-Fights
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism