Muhammad Ali turns 71 today
Today is Muhammad Ali’s 71st birthday, so I wanted to share the below 30 for 30 Short that highlights a little known mission The Greatest once embarked upon.
Please let me know if you’d like further details or to speak to the film’s director.
30 for 30 Shorts: Ali: The Mission, narrated by John Legend, showcases Muhammad Ali’s 1990 mission to free hostages in Iraq
Watch Ali: The Mission here: es.pn/WJbiUf
(To embed this video, click the gear wheel to the bottom right of the player and click share)
Ali: The Mission, narrated by musician John Legend, delves into perhaps one of the most important, but least known, feats of Muhammad Ali’s remarkable life. In 1990, the boxing legend traveled to Iraq to press a plea for peace and negotiate with Saddam Hussein for the release of U.S. civilians taken hostage after Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait. Ali risked his reputation, health and safety for the freedom of prisoners held by Hussein as “human shields” to deter U.S. military strikes. On January 16, 1991, only six weeks after Ali brought 15 hostages back home to their relieved families, Operation Desert Storm bombarded Iraq.
“There are so many stories and myths out there about The Greatest, but this one struck a personal chord with me as I don’t know that people today are even aware of Ali’s immense philanthropic work or this specific mission to Iraq before Desert Storm began,” said the film’s narrator John Legend. “Entertainers and athletes are often blessed with a platform from which to improve the world, and it was an honor for me to be the voice of this film showcasing the incredible journey Ali made that changed the lives of these hostages forever.”
In this 30 for 30 short, directed by Amani Martin (Benji, HBO’s Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts of Flatbush), former hostages discuss their harrowing tales of captivity, their euphoria in being liberated, and their enduring gratitude to Ali for his selfless, humanitarian mission. ESPN Films’ 30 for 30 Shorts series is artfully crafted by Blue Moon.
Previous films from the 30 for 30 Shorts series include Arnold’s Blueprint, The Arnold Palmer and Jake, which can all be viewed on Grantland.com.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Jamal James defeats Thomas Dulorme
- Boxing Results: Terri Harper and Natasha Jonas fight to a 10-round draw
- Fox Sports and PBC announce blockbuster schedule for 2020
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol on August 29 LIVE on ESPN+
- McCaskill: Beating Braekhus Leads To More Mega-Fights
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism