Hearn wants Froch-Kessler II to be PPV
By Scott Gilfoid: The big contracts that IBF super middleweight champion Carl Froch and WBA champ Mikkel Kessler will be getting for their rematch in May will be fueled in part by pay per view sales in the UK, as it’s reportedly going to be announced soon that British fans will need to pay to see this fight.
Froch’s promoter Eddie Hearn wants the fight to be on PPV, according to the Telegraph, and it looks Sky Box Office will be showing it.
Hearn said to the telegraph.co.uk “The details in their entirety have not been signed yet, but for a fight of huge magnitude, like Froch-Kessler to take place, pay-per-view is a necessity.”
Gee, I wonder if they’re going to sell it for £15? I personally can’t see paying anything more than £5 at the most, and I feel like overpaying even with that. It’s just not interesting to pay to see two guys that were whipped by Andre Ward. Why should fans have to pay to see two of Ward’s losers? That just seems wrong to me.
Froch has a controversial decision win over Andre Dirrel. Why should fans want to pay to see Froch if he can’t beat Dirrell without controversy? I don’t see it being a PPV worthy fight unless Hearn gives it a steep discount to say £2. A PPV fight should be for guys that are winning against the best, not losing to the best and picking up their wins over vulnerable fighters like Yusaf Mack and Allan Green.
I can’t remember seeing Kessler beat anyone that I can even remotely call a good fighter. It’s been ages since Kessler beat anyone other than Froch that you can say is a decent fighter.
Hearn is looking at staging the fight at either the O2 Arena in London or the Manchester Arena. The O2 fits 17,000 boxing fans, and the Manchester Arena fits 19,000. You can expect it to take place in Manchester if Hearn feels that boxing fans in the area will want to see this fight in high numbers. I can’t imagine that they would. It’ll look bad if Hearn books the Manchester Arena and only 9000 fans show for the fight. Heck, he might as well twist Kessler’s arm to get him to fight in Nottingham so that they can sell out the fight.
Okay, back to the PPV subject. They’d have to pay me to watch the fight because I can’t even fathom paying £2 for the Kessler-Froch fight. Nah, I don’t want to pay to see this rematch. They’ve both been beaten and aren’t the top dogs in the division. Why pay to see guys that aren’t the #1 fighter in the division?
More Boxing News:
- Froch: Whyte would give Fury as tough a fight as Joshua
- Mike Tyson, Andre Ward, Anthony Joshua & more Showtime Classics in June
- Carl Froch And Barker Talk Fighting On The Road In ‘The Rounds’
- Anthony Joshua responds to Carl Froch’s complaining about P4P list
- Carl Froch NOT interested in Andre Ward rematch
- Andy Ruiz Jr and Chris Arreola in discussions for fight
- Fury sparring partner Anderson slams glove tampering claims
- Canelo Alvarez wants a TOP fighter for September 12 says Eric Gomez
- Golden Boy: Ryan Garcia is passing on WBO title eliminator, wants Luke Campbell
- The Story Of Michael Bentt: Heavyweight’s Forgotten King