Golovkin wants Quillin, Sturm or Geale in 2013
By Dan Ambrose: WBA middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (25-0, 22 KO’s) is hoping he can get one of the champions to face him this year, and he’s got several fighters on his list that he’d like to take on in the near future if they’re game.
Golovkin says he’d be interested in fighting former WBA Super World middleweight champion Felix Sturm, IBF champ Daniel Geale or WBO champion Peter Quillin. Golovin is scheduled for a tune-up bout against Nobuhiro Ishida (24-8-2, 9 KO’s) on March 30th, in Monaco, but after that Golovkin is free, and he’s be willing to fight Sturm, Geale or Quillin if they’re looking for a big fight.
Golovkin said “Either Geale or Sturm would be perfect this year…I’m certainly interested [in facing Quillin] if he’s serious…Felix [Sturm] avoided me for two years as his mandatory for over two years when he was champion.”
The last comment about Sturm seemed to be Golovkin’s return fire for Sturm’s comment from yesterday to RingTV, where he said Golovkin is “Unproven” and that a fight against him would “Make no financial sense” because Golovkin hasn’t fought enough big name opponents for Sturm to take him seriously as a champion.
Golovkin vs. Quillin would be a good for HBO. Both fighters have excellent power, and boxing fans could see how the bigger 6’1” Quillin would stand up to facing someone with equal, if not more, power. However, Quillin recently said that he doesn’t have any interest in fighting Golovkin because he doesn’t have enough of a name in the United States for the fight to a worthwhile one for him. That sounds like an excuse for Quillin to avoid a very risky fight.
When you see Quillin fighting Fernando Guerrero, like he will be in April, it destroys his argument for not fighting Golovkin because Guerrero is even less known than Golovkin in the United States, and he doesn’t have a world title like Golovkin does.
Golovkin vs. Geale could take place this year, but the fight will likely have to wait until Geale fights the winner of the Sturm vs. Sam Soliman IBF 160 pound eliminator bout, which takes place on Friday night in Germany.
More Boxing News:
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year
- Hearn wants Canelo vs. Saunders in September
- Canelo Alvarez doesn’t need Gennadiy Golovkin trilogy – Vergil Ortiz Jr.
- Canelo wants 2 fights in 2020, Saunders in Sept. and GGG in Dec.
- Hearn: GGG vs. Szeremeta in August; Canelo vs. Saunders in September
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract