Geale defeats Mundine, faces Sturm-Soliman winner next
By Jim Dower: Making his 4th defense of his IBF middleweight title, champion Daniel Geale (29-1, 15 KO’s) avenged his previous loss to the 37-year-old Anthony Mundine (44-5, 26 KO’s) from four years ago by beating him by a 12 round unanimous decision on Wednesday night at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, in Sydney, Australia.
The final judge’s scores were 117-111, 116-112, and 117-111. There was no doubt this time who the better man was, as Geale out-worked and dominated the aging Mundine and hurt him on a number of occasions with hard shots to the head.
Geale, 31, will now face the winner of the IBF eliminator bout between Felix Sturm and Sam Soliman before looking for more serious challengers like Sergio Martinez and Gennady Golovkin.
It’s likely that Sturm will beat Soliman, and thus set up a rematch between Geale and Sturm. Geale could find himself having to beat Sturm for a second time in Germany.
Geale was able to get the better of the harder hitting Mundine by hitting and moving, and not letting the slower Mundine have a stationary target to load up on with his big shots. The fight had some rough stuff involved with rabbit punching, head-butting, and elbowing, but most part it wasn’t as bad as some people predicted it would be.
On the undercard, 38-year-old heavyweight prospect Kimbo Slice (7-0, 6 KO’s) destroyed Shane Tilyard (6-7, 5 KO’s) by a 2nd round knockout after dropping him with a left to the body to get a stoppage at 2:09 of the 2nd. However, Slice was hit with some big shots in the 1st round, and it wasn’t a good sign in terms of his future potential that he was getting hit so easily by a fighter like Tilyard.
Other boxing results on the card:
Daniel Amman UD 10 David Aloua
Joel Brunker UD 8 Ivan Hernandez
Jamie Pittman UD 8 Zac Awad
Lauyn Eagle UD 8 Nadine Brown
Steve Lovett UD 6 Jeremy Allan
More Boxing News:
- Jeff Horn vs. Anthony Mundine – RESULTS
- FRIDAY: Horn vs. Mundine Grudge Match LIVE on ESPN+
- Jeff Horn vs. Anthony Mundine this Friday on ESPN+
- Jeff Horn vs. Anthony Mundine on Nov.30 in Australia
- Jacobs/Sulecki, Miller/Duhaupas Photo/quotes, final press conference
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN
- Porter: Erislandy Lara is the next guy for Jermell Charlo at 154
- David Haye warns Usyk: It only takes one shot, Chisora will cause an upset
- Regis Prograis vs. Juan Heraldez on Oct.24 on Tank vs. Santa Cruz card
- Murat Gassiev to face Kevin Johnson on Oct.31 in Russia