Demetrius Andrade wants World title shot at 154
PHILADELPHIA (January 30, 2013)–World ranked Jr. Middleweight Demetrius Andrade is now eying a world title opportunity after his impressive performance this past Friday night as he scored a shutout unanimous decision over former world title challenger Freddy Hernandez on SHOBOX: The New Generation.
The bout was held at the Paramount Theatre and Andrade’s promoters, Arthur Pelullo’s Banner Promotions, Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing & JEG Boxing are now looking to make a title fight for Andrade a reality.
In the bout against Hernandez, Andrade was nearly flawless as he switched between orthodox and southpaw and Hernandez had no answer for any of the great skills that Andrade possessed.
In round six, Andrade pivoted beautifully and landed a hard right to the top of the head that sent Hernandez to the canvas. From that point on, Andrade showed the impressive arsenal that made him go from 2007 world amateur champion, 2008 U.S. Olympian and now top three world ranked contender.
Andrade won by shutout scores of 100-89 on all three judges score cards.
“That was the kind of performance that any fighter would want to have just before a title shot”, said Arthur Pelullo, CEO of Banner Promotions.
“Demetrius is clearly clicking on all cylinders now. He’s twenty-four years old and now is putting everything together at the right time. He has always been one of the most skilled fighters out there and all he needed was the experience. My partners Joe DeGuardia, Darren Libonati and I have him in position for a title shot. We will hope to fight the WBO champion Zaurbek Baysangurov this spring and we are already putting the wheels in motion for that shot”
With the win, the native of Providence, Rhode Island upped his perfect mark to 19-0 with 13 knockouts.
More Boxing News:
- Frank Warren: A Message To Matchroom Boxing And Sky
- Natasha Jonas vs Terri Harper on Aug. 7, LIVE on DAZN and Sky
- Fiaz vs. Baker on August 7, Live on Sky
- Jono Carroll vs. Maxi Hughes on August 12, Live on ESPN+
- WBC: Mike Tyson’s Return
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez not looking good for Oct.3
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev to fight in December with fans or without
- Leo Santa Cruz plans on burying Tank Davis with pressure on Oct.24