David Price still wants to win the Lonsdale strap
DAVID PRICE is worried that he may be unable to win a Lonsdale belt outright because there is a lack of serious domestic rivals. The 6ft 8in Liverpool puncher won the British heavyweight title last year by defeating Sam Sexton, and made quick fire defences against Audley Harrison and Matt Skelton.
He needs one more notch to own a Lonsdale belt outright, but there are currently no suitable active contenders.
Price (15-0) is now boxing at world class and meets American double world title challenger Tony Thompson (36-3) in a 12 rounder at Liverpool’s Echo Arena on Saturday 23rd February.
Price who is also Commonwealth title holder explained: “Winning a Lonsdale belt is not my priority but at the same time it would be a great honour to own one alongside other great fighters.
“I would not turn it down as long as we can get an opponent who would raise me to the challenge.
“It would have to be against a fighter who I believe is world level like Dereck Chisora or Tyson Fury.
“My friend, David Haye is about but he seems focused solely on getting a fight against Vitali Klitschko.
“There isn’t anyone else I can raise myself for, but who knows someone might come through and I can keep the belt outright.”
Price’s friend Kevin Satchell (9-0) makes the first defence of his British flyweight title against Luke Wilton (13-2-1) on the same bill.
And Bristol’s Darren Hamilton (12-2) risks his British light-welterweight championship against another Liverpool boxer, Steve Williams (13-1).
Adil Anwar (18-1) who hopes to challenge the winner also boxes and promoter Frank Maloney hopes he will be involved in the fourth 12 rounder on the card.
Others boxers on the bill include David Burke (26-2), Paul Edwards (9-2), Sean Dodd (4-0), Louis Cuddy (6-0), Neil Perkins (2-0), Steven Lewis (2-0), Andy Colquhoun (5-0) and Peter Gallagher (1-0).
Tickets can be purchased £230 (VIP including meal and inner ringside seat), £95 (Ringside), £70 and £40 at www.echoarena.com www.frankmaloney.com or 0844 8000 400.
The show will be broadcast live by the home of boxing BoxNation (Sky 437/Virgin 546). Join now at www.boxnation.com. WealthTV will be broadcasting the card live in the United States.
More Boxing News:
- Miguel Marriaga vs. Mark John Yap & Felix Verdejo vs. Will Madera Set for July 16
- Foster Vs Beech Official Weigh-In Results
- Taylor vs. Persoon Rematch is on! August 22, live on Sky Sports Box Office
- Daniel Dubois vs Erik Pfeifer on August 29
- Archie Sharp Predicts Fireworks On August 20th
- Should Terence Crawford move back down to 140lbs?
- Emanuel Navarrete set to move up to 126
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez moved to October 3 in Las Vegas
- Ryan Garcia dares Golden Boy to RELEASE him if they don’t believe in his abilities
- Floyd Mayweather Jr hinting about an exhibition fight in 2020