Broner-Rees: Gavin will have to be perfect to last 5 rounds
By Scott Gilfoid: If you want to see a textbook version of a mismatch then tune-in to the February 16th fight between WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner (25-0, 21 KO’s) and Gavin Rees (37-1-1, 18 KO’s) because this one isn’t going to last long unless Rees fights WAY above his head at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
However, even under the best of circumstances, I can’t see Rees making it past the 5th round. I mean, the guy can literally run and use a defensive scheme where his head is hidden from view and he’s still going to get stopped. What I’m saying here is that Rees has no chance of winning.
The only thing that isn’t defined is what round Rees is going to get stopped in. I’m not knocking the guy. I think Rees is a fine fighter and pretty much a terror when it comes to domestic and European level opposition, but Broner isn’t domestic or European level. He’s the very best of the world class and Rees is really stepping into it with this fight.
Rees is like a little bull, but a wide open bull that will be pretty much defenseless against Broner in this fight.
I would have liked to have seen Rees prove himself worthy to take this fight by facing some of the top lightweights like Antonio DeMarco, Jason Litzau, and Vincente Escobedo to see how Rees would do against all of them. If he could have beaten them then I’d feel a lot better about this fight then I do now. However, Rees didn’t face any of those guys to get this fight.
All Rees had to do is beat the likes of Derry Mathews and then fight was hit. I really don’t like that because what I think we’re going to be is a mismatch even worse than the ones that Broner has had recently against the likes of Escobedo, Litzau, DeMarco and I think it’s going to be really bad.
I foresee a lot of blood on Rees’ face and possibly a broken nose as well by the time Broner gets finished annihilating him.
More Boxing News:
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Adrien Broner and Devin Haney interested in fighting
- Adrien Broner: If I return to 135, I’ll destroy the weight class
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Eubank Jr wants Canelo, Golovkin, Murata or Jermall title shot
- Jose Ramirez: “I want Josh Taylor next”
- Devin Haney leaning towards Yuriorkis Gamboa for November 7th
- Teofimo Lopez: I don’t want to hear about Lomachenko again after this fight