Boxing (1-1) vs. MMA (1-1)
By Omar Torres: When Boxing’s Tyson Fury(20-0) challenged current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velazquez(12-1) to an MMA fight, I was smirking at the idea, loving it but knowing it was going to be shot down. Velasquez said in a MMA news article, ‘”In the UFC you earn your way up”, which I would have to disagree with that. I’m a sports and fight fan so I know about the UFC and I know that Brock Lesner earned his heavyweight title shot in only just a few fights.
Brock Leaner in just his third UFC fight got a shot at the Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture beating Couture in a 2 round TKO. In boxing we all know that it can take you years to move up the rankings to get a shot at one of the Klitschkos brothers or a in any division for that matter.
There has been two well known fights that’s happened that a boxer and a MMA fighter has gone toe to toe with each other, and right now the record is (1-1). Former WBO Heavyweight Champion Ray Mercer(36-7-1) vs. Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Tim Sylvia (38-8).
This match up only lasted a few seconds as Mercer impressively hit Sylvia with an one hit wonder K.O in the octagon. Also in the octagon was Randy Couture (19-11) former UFC Heavyweight champion vs. James Toney (74-7-3) former IBF Cruiserweight Champion. The ground and pound fighter Couture did just that, taking Toney to the ground and triangle choking him tapping him out winning by a first round submission.
So the score is now even, 1-1 as far as well known bouts go, so why not have a another fight but this time in a boxing ring. I know that it’s a long shot of happening but as a fan I would love to see Tyson Fury vs. Cain Velasquez even if it’s a one sided fight. Mix martial arts has boxing included so Velasquez should have the knowledge and be capable of holding his own against Fury. As far as Fury fighting in the octagon the odds are stacked up against him.
More Boxing News:
- Hearn wants fighters to agree to 50-50 match-ups
- Alex Saucedo vs. Sonny Fredrickson on June 30
- The Symbol of Soul City Boxing Gym…Otha Jones III
- WBC to reduce sanctioning fees for fighters
- Josh Warrington wants Shakur Stevenson ‘SOONER rather than later’
- Ryan Garcia: Jorge Linares fight ISN’T happening
- Saunders: Canelo is in my WORLD inside an empty arena
- Terence Crawford: ‘I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me’
- Keith Thurman ready to fight behind-closed doors
- Mike Tyson looking chiseled training for exhibition