Pascal suffers torn left bicep & rotator cuff; fight with Chad Dawson still on for March 23rd
By Allan Fox: Former WBC light heavyweight champion Jean Pascal (27-2-1, 16 KO’s) must be pretty happy right now after learning that he didn’t suffer a bad shoulder injury in his 10 round unanimous decision win over Aleksy Kuziemski last Friday night in Montreal, Canada. Fightnews.com is reporting that Pascal suffered a torn left bicep and a partially torn left rotator cuff.
If it were a full tear of his rotator cuff then that would a lot more serious and it could have required surgery to repair the problem. However, Pascal will only need rest and rehabilitation to get him back in fighting shape, as long as there aren’t any lingering problems.
Pascal injured left arm in the 4th round of that fight when he threw a left hook that caught on the rope support. Pascal fought rest of the fight using just his right hand, and that was more than enough to beat the 35-year-old Kuziemski in this tune-up bout to get the ring rusty Pascal ready for his title challenge against WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson on March 23rd in Canada.
One thing that caught my eye after Pascal’s injury during the Kuziemski fight was that one of Pascal’s corner assistants was pulling on his arm in between rounds, as if the belief was that Pascal’s left arm had come out of the shoulder socket. But with it now being learned that he tore his left bicep and partially tore his rotator cuff, you have to question the wisdom of pulling on his arm in between rounds.
I’m not quite sure if that’s something that you should be doing if you have someone that tore their rotator cuff and ripped their bicep. I’m no expert on injuries of this kind, but it doesn’t seem like the right move to be pulling on an injured arm and shoulder unless you know exactly what kind of injury there is.
More Boxing News:
- Marcus Browne exercised rematch clause for Jean Pascal rematch
- ‘Let’s do Dmitry Bivol vs. Badou Jack for WORLD title’ – Eddie Hearn
- Tank Davis FIRES back at Terence Crawford
- Gervonta Davis beats Yuriorkis Gamboa
- Boxing Results: Jean Pascal edges Badou Jack
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism