Pacquiao wants to return to the ring in April
By Chris Williams: While Manny Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum wants him to rest and recover from his 6th round knockout until September of next year, Pacquiao will reportedly doesn’t want to wait that long until he gets back in the ring. Pacquiao wants to be back in action in April against an opponent still to be determined, according to the Manila Bulletin.
Pacquiao was knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez on December 8th of this month in a KO that left Pacquiao flat on his face on the canvas out cold.
Arum doesn’t want Pacquiao to fight a tune-up bout, and he doesn’t feel he needs to. Arum wants to get Pacquiao’s brain checked out at the famous Cleveland Clinic in Las Vegas, Nevada, and if he’s given a clean bill of health, then he’ll put him back in the ring.
It’s unknown whether Arum will try and talk Pacquiao out of fighting in April or if he’ll leave this decision up to Pacquiao.
I think it could be bad for the Filipino because with his promoter Arum wanting no tune-up bouts for Pacquiao then we’ll likely see him back in the ring right away with Marquez in April. I think it goes without saying that it’s a bad idea if Pacquiao takes this fight, because could get knocked cold again. That’s only four months after Pacquiao’s knockout loss in December, and I think that’s way too soon to be back in the ring after a KO like that.
I can understand why Pacquiao might want to get back in the ring because by fighting every four months instead of just in September, he’ll make another $50 million because he’ll squeeze in three fights in 2013 instead of just one. Additionally, Pacquiao obviously wants to try and avenge the loss to Marquez and prove that it was just a fluke thing, so it makes sense that he’d want to get back in the ring as soon as possible. It’s understandable but not very smart. Arum needs to be the one that talks some common sense to Pacquiao to save him from himself.
More Boxing News:
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- David Benavidez: Is it time to move up to 175?
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Hearn hints Fury won’t get same deal with Joshua if he vacates WBC title without fighting Whyte
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner