Mayweather to fight on May 4th and September 14th
By Chris Williams: Floyd Mayweather Jr. is slated to be back in the ring for two dates in 2013 – May 4th, Cinco De Mayo holiday and September 14th, according to ESPN. There’s no mention of who Mayweather will be fighting on either of those dates, but the fact that he’s choosing the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo pretty much tells you it’s going to be a Mexican fighter.
The options are WBC interim welterweight champion Robert Guerrero or WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. My guess is Guerrero will get the pick. Guerrero recently defeated Andre Berto, but didn’t look all that impressive in doing so.
Mayweather had to have seen that fight and probably noticed all the attention Guerrero received from Mexican boxing fans. By choosing Guerrero, Mayweather will be guaranteed to get a nice payday in a fight that will likely draw well over 1 million pay per view buys. Mayweather will eventually get around to fighting Canelo at some point but I don’t expect it to be next year.
Leonard Ellerbe, one of Mayweather’s advisers, said to espn “Richard Schaefer is finalizing the opponent and other aspects of the upcoming promotion.”
Schaefer already tipped his hand recently by saying that he was working on negotiating the fight between Guerrero and Mayweather. He also said that Mayweather’s management was interested in facing Guerrero.
Mayweather’s May 4th fight will be taking place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada, a venue where Mayweather likes to fight.
Dan Rafael observed that the timing of the Mayweather announcement was on the same day as the final news conference between Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao.
Mayweather is coming off of a 12 round unanimous decision win over Miguel Cotto last May in an exciting fight. Mayweather chose to go toe-to-toe with Cotto for 12 rounds instead of boxing him from the outside like Austin Trout did last night in beating Cotto by a 12 round decision.
More Boxing News:
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Conor McGregor says he carried Floyd Mayweather 3 years ago
- Santa Cruz says Mayweather is training Tank Davis for nothing; he won’t change
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk