Marquez could put Pacquiao out of his misery in 5th fight
By Chris Williams: It’s never nice to see a fighter like Manny Pacquiao get old and start to get beat. It’s kind of sad to see the once excellent Filipino fighter getting beaten by the likes of Tim Bradley and getting knocked cold by his old nemesis Juan Manuel Marquez.
Pacquiao turned 34-years-old day, and that he’s not a young fighter anymore. At his age and with the way he’s getting beaten left and right, I think it would be a wise thing for Pacquiao not to fight Marquez next year or ever again. Do they really want this fight to happen?
Marquez and Pacquiao are going in different directions. Marquez is improving still, and is even more powerful now than he ever was before, whereas Pacquiao has slowed and is getting tagged in the head more and more. Marquez has improved so much, while Pacquiao is clearly going downhill. This isn’t something that Pacquiao can change. Age is terrible, and when you start to lose it just continues until you’ve got nothing left.
Let’s be honest here, Marquez is probably going to put the Filipino out of his misery when and if they fight next year. Pacquiao isn’t 24 anymore, and he’s lost a step or three, and he’s just walking into shots like an older fighter that can no longer shift out of 2nd gear properly.
Arum needs to realize that Pacquiao is just a knockout away from retirement right now and Marquez will be the one that does that to him by knocking him flat for a second time. This is why Arum needs to baby his money fighter Pacquiao by looking to put him in with guys that punch worth a lick like Tim Bradley or Lamont Peterson. Those are fights that Pacquiao won’t have much of a risk to getting knocked out, although I still think he’ll lose to those guys by decision, but at least he won’t get knocked out again.
More Boxing News:
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- David Benavidez: Is it time to move up to 175?
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Hearn hints Fury won’t get same deal with Joshua if he vacates WBC title without fighting Whyte
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner