Weigh-in: Garcia vs. Morales II, Malignaggi vs. Cano, Quillin vs. N’Dam, Bailey vs. Alexander
By Scott Gilfoid: WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia easily made weight at 139.2 lbs on Friday during his weigh-in for his bout on Showtime this Saturday at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The big surprise during the weigh-in was that Erik Morales was able to make weight at 139.8 pounds. This must have been a load of relief for Morales and his team, because he failed to make weight last March when he fought Garcia in Houston and lost his WBC title on the scales.
In what was a surprise in the undercard weigh-ins was former light welterweight Pablo Cesar Cano coming in over the 147 lb limit at 148.4 lbs for his fight against WBA World welterweight champion Paulie Malignaggi. You would think that with Cano moving up in weight from 140 specifically for this fight that he’d have no problems making weight. Unfortunately, he came 1.4 lbs over the limit.
Malingaggi and Golden Boy Promotions might as well have pooled from the welterweight division because Cano, a light welterweight, couldn’t even make weight. Somehow I see that as fitting. You pick a guy that is smaller than you and coming off of a recent knockout and then he fails to make weight. What a joke.
IBF welterweight champion Randall Bailey was a professional as always in making weight at 147 lbs for his title defense against Devon Alexander. This will be the first and possibly the only title defense that Bailey makes for his newly won International Boxing Federation title. Alexander came in at 146.8 lbs. This could be an exciting fight if Alexander limits the amount of times he clinches. In his last fight, he clinched Marcos Maidana over 10 times per round in a truly ugly fight. We could see the same tomorrow night unless the referee does something to get control over the fight.
Paulie Malignaggi 146.2 vs. Pablo Cesar Cano 148.4
Devon Alexander 146.8 vs. Randall Bailey 147
Hassan N’dam, 159 vs. Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin 159.2.
More Boxing News:
- Danny Garcia the WBC mandatory to Errol Spence
- Malignaggi discusses Spence, Pacquiao vs. Garcia & Thurman vs. Porter
- Danny Garcia: Spence or Pacquiao fights can happen this summer
- Errol Spence TARGETING July or August for return, Danny Garcia possible
- Angel Garcia wants Keith Thurman to give Danny a rematch
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen