Geale wants Chavez Jr-Martinez winner next
(Photo credit: Sumio Yamada) By Allan Fox: IBF/WBA middleweight champion Daniel Geale (28-1, 15 KO’s) has already been ordered by the World Boxing Association to fight WBA champ Gennady Golovkin by December 31st. However, Geale instead wants to fight the winner of this Saturday’s fight between WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Sergio Martinez.
That’s the bigger money fight for the 31-year-old Geale and his promoter Gary Shaw also wants that fight for him.
Geale said to ESPN “We’re talking to those [HBO] guys and they’re very interested. Hopefully, we can get something up. It would be great to fight the winner of this [Martinez-Chavez Jr] fight.”
I don’t know HBO is as interested as Geale things they are in seeing him fight the Chavez Jr. vs. Martinez winner over the much harder punching an arguably more entertaining Golovkin. I’d be willing to bet that HBO prefers to see Golovkin get the winner of Chavez Jr-Martinez over the light hitting Geale. The reason is simple. Geale mostly wins his fights by decisions and many of them are incredibly boring to watch. He can mix it up at times, but he’s still mostly a pure boxer.
Geale defeated WBA Super World middleweight champion Felix Sturm earlier this month on September 1st by a 12 round split decision in Germany. Geale did a great job of going into Sturm’s home country and beating him but the fight was still pretty boring to watch compared to Golovkin’s recent 5th round stoppage win over Grzegorz Proksa.
There’s no telling who Chavez Jr. or Martinez will want to fight after their bout this Saturday. Chavez Jr’s promoter Bob Arum might have an altogether completely different opponent in mind that doesn’t include Geale or Golovkin. Arum likes to set up Top Rank in house fights, and Golovkin and Geale could find themselves ignored by Arum even if HBO wants Chavez Jr. to fight one of those guys. Arum has Kelly Pavlik in his stable, and a fight between Pacquiao and Chavez Jr. would be a big deal in the United States.
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. suspended by NSAC for refusing to take drug test
- Kermit Cintron wants Sergio Martinez rematch: Will anyone watch?
- Sergio Martinez making comeback, fighting Kerman Lejarraga in Dec. or Jan.
- Eddie Hearn willing to let Julio Chavez Jr. rebuild career on Matchroom undercards
- Daniel Jacobs wants GGG rematch, Jermall Charlo, Saunders or Callum in 2020
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey