Bellew stops Miranda in 9th
By Scott Gilfoid: British light heavyweight champion Tony Bellew (18-1, 12 KO’s) had to really struggle to get a 9th round stoppage tonight against journeyman Edison Miranda (35-8, 30 KO’s) at the Alexandra Palace in London. The fight was pretty much even at the time Miranda suddenly quit after taking a knee. The fight was halted at 2:54 of the round. If Miranda was a little younger he likely would have won the fight, but he’s had too many wars.
Miranda was really teeing off on Bellew through most of the fight, hammering him with solid shots that had Bellew backing up and looking uncertain. I half expected Bellew to start running and stinking up the joint like he did in his second fight with Ovil McKenzie, but he kept firing back every once in awhile when Miranda would stop unloading on him with right hands and left hooks.
Although Bellew got the win it’s hard to get excited about it because he struggled badly against a journeyman level, 2nd fighter and it kind of shows you a little about where Bellew is in his development. At 29, he’s kind of old to be still trying to find his way among the 2nd tier fighters and I doubt it’s possible that he’ll ever be able to claw his way to the top 10. As of now, Bellew is still a 2nd tier fighter.
In the rather dull undercard fights:
Lee Purdy TKO 4 Gumersindo Carrasco
Erick Ochieng TKO 5 Ryan Toms
More Boxing News:
- Fury is #1 heavyweight but Joshua BEATS him – Tony Bellew
- Tony Bellew: ‘I’d Make a FOOL of Andy Ruiz Jr’
- Bellew: Lomachenko will have problems at 140
- Tony Bellew: ‘Lomachenko makes Gervonta Davis look stupid”
- Tony Bellew officially announces his retirement
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract