Manny Pacquiao’s destruction job on Miguel Cotto can’t be blamed on weight
By Mark Havey: A rematch is presently being talked about between Manny Pacquiao (54-4-2, KO’s 38) and Miguel Cotto (37-3, KO’s 30). I don’t see much point as Pacquiao destroyed Cotto in 2009. If Cotto wasn’t in his prime then, he certainly isn’t now. In his last the popular Puerto Rican lost to Floyd Mayweather via points.
His one claim to deserving this shot is that he mildly challenged Mayweather at times. But considering Floyd is a counter fighter, I anticipated that. But i keep hearing fan’s saying that Cotto only lost to Pacquiao because he was weight drained.
It will be at a catch weight and I don’t blame Pacquiao for refusing to go up. The Filipino legend is a 8weight world champion. he can only go up in weight comfortably so many times. There are alot of fans who gain information from ill informed fans.
For instance, people say Cotto was drained against Pacquiao. How drained could he have been? It’s not uncommon for people to jump up or down 2 weights. But Cotto didn’t jump down even 1 weight. Most people will say “yes he did, he is a light middleweight”. Yes he is. but he wasn’t at the time. he was a welterweight. The catch weight was set at 145 lbs. The welterweight limit is 147.
So after three months training, how weight drained could Cotto have been after losing an extra 2 lbs? If he can’t do that without being drained he has serious metabolism problems. Of course he wasn’t drained. He wasn’t going to admit that he was destroyed. Cotto done what most people do after losing at catch weight. Let’s remember that he wasn’t forced to sign a contract. But people who can’t remember certain information should look it up before listening to another fan. That fan may not know or may have a motive for saying what they are saying.
If this fight is to be made the catch weight will be 150lbs. That’s fair considering Cotto is actually a light middleweight now. But I still think Pacquiao should face Timothy Bradley next. The has Pacman’s belt, and even though know one considers that defeat as valid, it’s still a defeat on paper.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao can win 9th division title against GGG
- Freddie Roach says Pacquiao might want Golovkin next
- Terence Crawford could mess up Errol Spence’s plans for Pacquiao fight
- Crawford vs. Pacquiao possible for Bahrain in 2020
- Errol Spence doesn’t want a tune-up, targeting Pacquiao, Crawford and Danny Garcia
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder trilogy possible for Macau or Australia
- Errol Spence: I got three fights left at 147 before going to 154
- Anthony Joshua INJURED, needs 4 to 6 weeks of rest
- Ricky Hatton says he would have BEATEN Mayweather on the night of Tszyu fight
- Ryan Garcia calls out Gervonta Davis for 2020 fight