Cotto a logical choice for Mayweather
By John F. McKenna (McJack): Undefeated superstar World Boxing Association (WBA) light middleweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. (43-0, 26 KO’s) will be released from incarceration in the first week of August. It is not yet clear, whether the multi division champion will fight before the end of the year, or who his next opponent will be.
Former WBA and IBF light welterweight champion Amir Khan (26-3, 18 KO’s) had been contemplating moving up to welterweight and facing “Money May” sometime in the future. His name has been removed from consideration however after his stunning stoppage at the hands of Danny Garcia (24-0, 15 KO’s). Garcia although triumphant against Khan is not yet on Mayweather’s radar because he is still a relative unknown.
Budding superstar Saul Alverez (40-0-1, 29 KO’s) is another possibility. “Canelo” will face Josesito Lopez (30-4-1 NC, 18 KO’s) on September 15 and a good performance may put him at the top of list of possible Mayweather opponents. There is still a school of thought which says that the youthful Alvarez is not yet ready to face a fighter as gifted as Mayweather. After all, Mayweather will be 36 in February and figures to start slowing down. Alvarez on the other hand at 22, the theory goes will only get better.
In reality there are not a lot of choices for Floyd’s first fight after his three month incarceration. Obviously it will take some time for Mayweather to get back into the grind of training.
The name of former WBA light middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (37-3, 30 KO’s) is also in the mix of possible opponents for “Money May”. Their fight last May was surprisingly competitive and with Cotto’s huge Puerto Rican fan base a Mayweather – Cotto rematch makes sense and may be the only logical choice for Floyd. A case could also be made for giving the former champion a shot at getting his title back.
From Mayweather’s perspective a 2nd fight with Cotto would make perfect sense. Having already fought Cotto once and being the master ring strategist he is Floyd would look to improve on his first performance and go for a KO in a 2nd fight.
Cotto thus far has not given any indication as to who his next opponent will be. He may be holding back from choosing his next opponent and speaking through his silence. Miguel may in fact be waiting to see what direction Mayweather heads in the hopes of landing a rematch.
More Boxing News:
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Oscar Valdez BLAMES Mayweather for fighter ducking the best
- Ricky Hatton feels CHEATED in loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr
- Floyd Mayweather Jr hinting about an exhibition fight in 2020
- Erislandy Lara fights on August 29 on FOX in Los Angeles
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev to fight in December with fans or without
- Leo Santa Cruz plans on burying Tank Davis with pressure on Oct.24
- Canelo Alvarez’s first choice is Callum Smith says Eddie Hearn