Cotto needs to shoot for a Mayweather rematch as soon as possible
By Dan Ambrose: Right now Miguel Cotto is getting a lot of credit for having given Floyd Mayweather Jr. his hardest fight in many, many years on May 5th in a losing effort by Cotto at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The fight brought in a huge 1.5 million pay-per-view buys, and Cotto must have made a ton of money on the PPV upside cash to go along with his guaranteed $8 million for the fight. He doesn’t need to ever work again, but of course he’s going to continue fighting.
However, that puts more pressure on Cotto to make sure he maximizes his paydays with each fight. He’s not going to make a ton of money unless he faces Floyd Mayweather or Manny Pacquiao again. The other options for him bring just as much danger of him losing yet again but without the big cash that he hauled in for the Mayweather and Pacquiao fights.
Cotto risks blowing all the good fame and attention he got from the Mayweather fight if he takes on some of the younger top fighters like Austin Trout, James Kirkland, Saul Alvarez, Vanes Martirosyan, and Erislandy Lara. Some or maybe even all of them would likely beat Cotto, and that would put a huge crimp in him being able to make a ton of money against other fighters. This is why Cotto needs to push especially hard to get Mayweather back in the ring. If he can’t Mayweather to fight him again, then he needs to look for a fight against Pacquiao.
Above all, Cotto needs to stay away from guys like Alvarez, Sergio Martinez and Lara. Those guys are too dangerous and would mess things up for Cotto in getting another big payday against Mayweather or Pacquiao. He’s probably going to have to go back to facing soft opposition again if he can’t get Mayweather or Pacquiao to fight him immediately, because if Cotto fights anyone good, like the above mentioned fighters, it’ll be too risky for him. If Mayweather can hurt Cotto, just imagine what those guys would do to him.
More Boxing News:
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Floyd Mayweather Jr offered “sick” money for exhibition fights
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Oscar Valdez BLAMES Mayweather for fighter ducking the best
- Danny Garcia beats Errol Spence predicts Jaron Ennis’ coach Acosta
- Jorge Linares tests positive for coronavirus
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 must face mandatory Whyte says WBC president
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Felix Verdejo possible on Oct.3 if Teofimo fight falls through