Crolla wants rematch against Mathews
By Scott Gilfoid: Former British lightweight champion Anthony Crolla (23-3, 9 KO’s) wants an immediately rematch against Derry Mathews (30-6-1, 16 KO’s) after Crolla was badly exposed yet again in getting halted in the 6th round by the 28-year-old Mathews last Saturday night.
Crolla, 25, was knocked down in the 3rd, cut in the 4th and halted in the 6th after getting hurt by a nice left hand from Mathews. Crolla continued to take punishment until referee John Keane stopped the fight with only three seconds to go in the round. Crolla looked like he could still continue fighting, but I guess Keane didn’t like the way Crolla’s head kept getting whip-lashed each time he was hit by Mathews.
Crolla’s trainer Joe Gallagher said to Manchester Evening News “This was a voluntary defense for Anthony. We gave Derry Mathews a chance and hopefully he will repay the favor.”
Knowing Mathews, he probably will give Mathews an immediately rematch; it’s not as if he has better option available to him. Crolla is the best fight he can probably get right now unless Ricky Burns gives Mathews a shot at his WBO lightweight title, which I can’t see happening because the World Boxing Organization would have to agree to letting the non-top 15 ranked Mathews fight for the title against Burns. That probably won’t happen unless they suddenly push Mathews up in the ranking over night in the same way they did Tommy Karpency after he had already signed for a fight against WBO light heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly.
Crolla shouldn’t take the Mathews rematch because another loss and he’ll really be in palookaville. He already got beat by Gary Sykes and Youssef Al Hamidi.
If Mathews can spank Crolla for a second time then he can probably forget about ever getting to the world class level. Crolla is made to order for Mathews, because he can’t stop an uppercut to save his life. Crolla is good at blocking normal shots straight up the middle or with hooks, but he has no defense against an uppercut. Mathews will have a field day against Crolla if they do end up fighting again.
More Boxing News:
- Mathews: Everyone Wants Me To Smash Davies
- Davies Faces Mathews On Haye Vs. Bellew Undercard
- Luke Campbell vs. Derry Mathews – Results
- Campbell vs. Mathews analysis and prediction
- Luke Campbell says beating Derry Mathews is a must if he wants to prove he’s ready for world titles in 2017
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract